You can type here any text you want

rear disc brake upgrade

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lind12950

Getting ready to do some brake work on rear of 1987 buick turbo with a g80 8.5 , need to get some ideas on options I have. I am currently running 20's and will be running stock 15's when drag racing. I could go with a bigger rim if necessary when drag racing. trying to keep my budget in line, so cost is something I will want to address.

What are my aftermarket options, and are there any rear disc brake kits from corvette or other GM vehicles.

You can use the stock (OEM) disc brake off the 97-2000 trans am or camaro. A 3/4 spacer is required to install the disc brake backing plate. the rearend will also require dis-assemble. I am currently do this up-grade for a friend 86 TB.Finding the parts in the junkyard is hard. the backing plater is $145.00 each from GM dealer. the rotor,caliper and hoses are from the f-body. the steel brake line on the rear axle will need shorten and flare.

here are some picture
DSC02674.jpg
:

DSC02678.jpg

DSC02681.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture078.jpg

wheels are 315 45 20 inch....Your going to love this up-grade. I should also tell you this stock F-body brake is up-gradeable to 13 rear rotor. I will also recommend the hydroboost with master cylinder. you do not have to swap the stock g-body porpersion valve. the fronts are also up-gradeable to 2001 s-10 blazer 2x4. the c6 corvette rotor will fit the s-10 hub-bearing. then a braket is made to mount the c6 caliper.

Also, Once the rear drum brake is completely remove. the axle flange will require cutting ( jawzal), us a grinder to grind down the edges so the F-body backing plate bolt-up perfectly square.

turbobuickreardicsflang1.jpg

turbobuickreardiscflang.jpg

the E-brake cable from the 96 chevy impalla ss will work in this application.The rear caliper is not like the 80`s f-body, with the e-brake intergrated with the hydralic piston in the caliper. This rear disc e-brake apply the brake liner inside the rotor. This allow better caliper piston control when compare to the 80`s f-body caliper. The 80`s rear calipers are know for getting stuck, which can cause a lost/reduce rear braking.
sure we can build a turbo buick to meet and exceed the new sports car standard.:D

94-96 Caprices use a similar setup, with the only real difference being that the wheel bolt pattern on the rotor is different.
late 90's S trucks also use a similar setup, but the 4X4 rear rotor has a ton of back space to it- so you could use the 4X4 S truck moutning brackets and calipers with 2 wheel drive rotors.

For the front I use the 2001 chevy s-10 2x4 front spindle with hud-bearing. Once I install the s-10 2x4 spindle between the upper and lower control arm. I was able to swap the front rotor from the 2006 C6 corvette (13 inches and still up-gradeable). the c6 rotor will fit perfect to the s-10 spindle/hub-bearing. Then a modified braket is bolted to the s-10 spindle. the c6 caliper is bolted to the modified braket. this complete you front c6 corvette brake.

You will need the brake pad braket and caliper from the c6 corvette

Picture071.jpg

This is best OEM up-grade

Here is the 2001 s-10 spindle/HUB/rotor and caliper mounted to the G-body control arm. rotors are 11inches.

DSC02590.jpg

DSC02589.jpg

s-10 rear setup is that pretty much bolt on? so use the 4x4 setup with the 2x4 rotors?

The rear caliper is not like the 80`s f-body, with the e-brake intergrated with the hydralic piston in the caliper. This rear disc e-brake apply the brake liner inside the rotor. This allow better caliper piston control when compare to the 80`s f-body caliper. The 80`s rear calipers are know for getting stuck, which can cause a lost/reduce rear braking.
sure we can build a turbo buick to meet and exceed the new sports car standard.:D

Just an FYI the front calipers that fit our cars will fit the 80's F-body axle. It will eliminate the parking brake though as a downside.

late 90's S trucks also use a similar setup, but the 4X4 rear rotor has a ton of back space to it- so you could use the 4X4 S truck moutning brackets and calipers with 2 wheel drive rotors.

The 4WD blazer backing plates/mounts put the calipers in front of the axle at the 2:00 position. It may not clear the frame on a G-body. I have a set, but won't have it mocked up for 2-3 weeks. The 2WD blazer backing plates put it at like 10:00 behind the axle (may also hit the frame). I have both backing plate sets, I will try to see how this works soon...

The difference from the Camaro setup is a smaller rotor (11.6" vs 12") and the calipers for the Blazer don't have that huge bridge over the top. The Blazer setup will just barely clear 14's...

As you also mentioned, Impala setup is pretty much the same but the rotor uses a different bolt pattern spacing for the big cars...

I've got both the camaro and the s-10 backing plates and I haven't had time to do either. I'm following this for the info. Good info.

Back