rear end fill plug....arrrggh

dsa87gn

well i went to do the right thing, service the rear end.
was getting 'one wheel peel' etc..
so i drain the rear last night, get the fluids and gasket..
take the cover to work today, sandblast & paint,looks good.
put it all back together and go to remove the fill plug.
It is basically a 3/8" drive right ?
well mine is kinda odd shaped, and the wrench barely goes in there (its not stripped, i dont believe the rear was ever serviced on this car) not sure how to get this thing out.
any ideas ???

i got the same problem!!! I tried wd40 and that still didnt help. i even let it sit for a day soaked in it????

We changed my end out for a Posi about 3 weeks ago and had a tough time getting the plug out, but it came. I now got a magnetic plug that I am going to replace it with so I don't have the same issue in the future.

If you can't get it out, you can get a new aluminum aftermarket cover that have both fill and drain hole in it.

Years ago I had the same problem and the "poor mans fix" I came up with was this,went to hardware store and got a piece of threaded pipe and 2 pipe plugs.Cut a whole near the top on the right side and the bottom in the middle of the rear cover,cut the pipe about 1 1/2 in. long and welded to cover. (with cover off the car!!!)Painted it all black and it works for me.Now I can drain and refill the rear without having to remove the cover all for about $5:cool: If I was smart enough to post pics I would,maybe I'll get my 11 yr old daughter to show me how:D

Mine was the same way. I just gave it a rap with a hammer, and it turned out fairly easy after that.

my rear end fill plug is some plastic piece with a black little knob on top...is that factory??? i can just pull mine out and then push it back in when done filling...very easy

I think he is refering to the overflow pipe thread plug on the pass side of the diff.

Originally posted by d0n_3d
my rear end fill plug is some plastic piece with a black little knob on top...is that factory??? i can just pull mine out and then push it back in when done filling...very easy

That's the vent. it should not be removable. At least not enough to use as a fill port.

Originally posted by TurboDave
That's the vent. it should not be removable. At least not enough to use as a fill port.

WHAT!!! all this time I have been struggling to fill the rear end through the VENT hole??? omg i'm gonna go jump off a cliff now!:rolleyes: :mad:

Just did mine today and it was a bitch to get off. i had to use a 3/8" ratchet, but the trick is, you have to use a very "thin ratchet". find the right one, and it will come right out.

i always wondered why my rear end took 3+ quarts of oil to fill it...everyone said that is usually takes 2 to 2 1/2 quarts until it comes up to the hole...well i was waiting for it to come up all the way on top to the vent hole! i hope i didn't ruin anything by overfilling the rear???

lol Don. How lomg did you drive it like yhis?? im surprised that it did not expander under heat and come out the vent .. Id be sure to drain some oput to proper level real soon man..

well that explains why the back side of the rear is all oily...wow i still have alot to learn:rolleyes:

I got mine off ebay. But it's a T/A performance part, that they lableed for Moser. Give T/A performance a call they make/sell them. You can get them as you see mine, or you can also get them with axle tube brace brakets (which you probably wouldn't need, unless you're going to take it into the 9's)

..finally got it..

Scraped around the base of the plug with a small screwdriver and spayed it several times with "rust easter", with a hammer smack between sprays. After it sat while i did all the yard work it came out.

I put 3/23oz bottles of fluid and the additve (4oz) and it still wasnt up to the hole. Took about 8 more oz then it started flowing out.

total fluid = 81 oz (figure an ounce is on the garage floor)
80oz = 2.5 quarts, sound about right ???

My big regret is not installing a drain plug. for next time...