You can type here any text you want

Rear end swap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
So what vehicle would i be able to get a 8.5 rear end from.
Or could the stock 7.5 be build to handle around 400 to 500 hp.

If you do not find a 8.5 rear axle, you might as well get a Ford 9" from Currie Ent. or Mark Williams, Moser, Strange, etc...They usually make them a direct bolt in for GN's with the correct brackets and spring mounts...
I doubt that a 7.5 axle is going to live long with 400 to 500 h.p. !

Claude :)

I just put a Moser 9" in our GN, I have the 8.5 I am going to sell, it is a peg leg out of our pure stock 85 GN. I don't want to ship this thing, just too big to mess with. $500.00 come and get it. The 7.5 won't last very long at the power levels you stated.

Jim

you don't need to get a bolt in 9" from the "big" names. there are hundrds of shops all over the country that make bolt in 9" housings for the "metric" circle track cars. if you scour the net, you can either find a place to make you a new housing with axles for about $500, or hit the local classifieds and find some local dirt track racers selling off old parts.
someday, i'm going to get a used BGN or Nextel Cup 9" full floater to go in my Monte..

you don't need to get a bolt in 9" from the "big" names. there are hundrds of shops all over the country that make bolt in 9" housings for the "metric" circle track cars. if you scour the net, you can either find a place to make you a new housing with axles for about $500, or hit the local classifieds and find some local dirt track racers selling off old parts.
someday, i'm going to get a used BGN or Nextel Cup 9" full floater to go in my Monte..

Most of those circle track applications dont run a G-body spec rear axle or suspension. Most of the metric frame cars are "front half" cars as far as the frame and suspension go. BGN/WC use something out of the dark ages with the trailing arms from a coil springed 70 Chevy truck. Plenty of budget 8.5 rears out there if you do some scrounging.

Most of those circle track applications dont run a G-body spec rear axle or suspension. Most of the metric frame cars are "front half" cars as far as the frame and suspension go. BGN/WC use something out of the dark ages with the trailing arms from a coil springed 70 Chevy truck. Plenty of budget 8.5 rears out there if you do some scrounging.
the lower dirt track classes are required to run factory chassis with factory mounting points. some allow a 9" swap, some require that they keep the oem rear axle in it. the G body is the most popular car for these classes due to their cheap availability, strength, light weight, and cheap service parts.
because of this, there are a LOT of bolt in 9" housing/axle sets out there that will bolt right into a stock G body. just add a center section, and you are good to go.
and, yes, i know the BGN/Cup cars use the "truck arm" suspension- which i also want to put in the Monte. it might be crude compared to a modern 3 link setup, but it does work better than any of GM's oem 4 link setups, and it is very durable. when i win the lottery, the Monte is going to get a full on modern Cup chassis built under it, and the T Type might also get a truck arm suspension conversion, as well.

There is one other option you can use if you can find one. The chevelle, cutlas, gs buick chasis use an 8.5 and you will have to bend the outer control arm mounts to make them fit but it will also give you a slightly wider track for the rears. About 1/2" on each side.

Check with TRZ motorsports about their 8.8 Mudstang swap kit I just finished mine. Now I have 4 wheel discs :biggrin:

There is one other option you can use if you can find one. The chevelle, cutlas, gs buick chasis use an 8.5 and you will have to bend the outer control arm mounts to make them fit but it will also give you a slightly wider track for the rears. About 1/2" on each side.
what years are you talking here?
the 73 -77 A bodies are way different than a G body, but i know there used to a be a few kits available to put a 64-72 A body 12 bolt in the G body chassis. but they vary from year to year- the 64-67 rears are about 1" narrower overall than the 68-72, but the mounting points are the same frm 64-72. in 67 or so, they changed the spring mount on the axle. there were some BOP 8.5's put in some of the 68-72 Buick, Olds, and Pontiac cars, but they are kind of rare. they also use bolt in axles (a good thing) where every other A body rears used c clips for axle retention.
i still think a slightly used "metric" 9 inch or an 8.5 out of a TR or 442 is the way to go.

Yes I am planning on posting an entire thread on the swap either here or the turbo forums. I will post a link as soon as I am finished.

what years are you talking here?
the 73 -77 A bodies are way different than a G body, but i know there used to a be a few kits available to put a 64-72 A body 12 bolt in the G body chassis. but they vary from year to year- the 64-67 rears are about 1" narrower overall than the 68-72, but the mounting points are the same frm 64-72. in 67 or so, they changed the spring mount on the axle. there were some BOP 8.5's put in some of the 68-72 Buick, Olds, and Pontiac cars, but they are kind of rare. they also use bolt in axles (a good thing) where every other A body rears used c clips for axle retention.
i still think a slightly used "metric" 9 inch or an 8.5 out of a TR or 442 is the way to go.

You're partly correct on that. The late sixties to early seventy's A body cars are what I'm talking about. A friend of mine had what's left of a skylark and he sold me the rear for $50. We've used these sucsesfully in metrics for dirt track racing. The center mounts fit fine and you have to bend the outers slightly. A bodies are out there if you look for them. The other trick is to cut the spring purches off and flip them around. It changes the angle enough to give you a better launch.

Back