You can type here any text you want

Rear main seal advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Use 'The Right Stuff' on the side seals. When that stuff sets up it will not leak (as long as you degrease the main cap and block's sealing surface).

also, smear a 1 molecule thick line of sealant where the main cap meets the block. That will guard against oil wicking under the cap

Use 'The Right Stuff' on the side seals. When that stuff sets up it will not leak (as long as you degrease the main cap and block's sealing surface).

also, smear a 1 molecule thick line of sealant where the main cap meets the block. That will guard against oil wicking under the cap

Leave out the side seals and nails. Just shoot "The Right Stuff" in the grooves until it comes out between the cap and the block. Wipe off the excess, and it will seal perfectly. Also, make sure the raised lip of the seal is toward the front of the engine.

I have seen the right stuff still wet at some places at the sides of the rear main 2 weeks later....

Maybe temperature has something to do with that. It's been 80-90 degrees when I've used it. It always dries overnight, at least outwardly.

Makes lots of sense ,if i remember right temps could of been cold in the garage ,,,I KEEP putting up the temp and the wife keeps putting it down ,MY WIFE HAS ALWAYS BEEN VERY MEAN TO MY BABY BUICK ,she tells my grand children thats it a S---BOX....how low can a woman go

Fwiw temperature doesn't cure rtv. Moisture cures it. The higher water content of the air the faster it cures.

YAKO said:
Makes lots of sense ,if i remember right temps could of been cold in the garage ,,,I KEEP putting up the temp and the wife keeps putting it down ,MY WIFE HAS ALWAYS BEEN VERY MEAN TO MY BABY BUICK ,she tells my grand children thats it a S---BOX....how low can a woman go

Get rid of your wife.

BISON after 44 years of marrige and being a canuk these creatures keep you warm in our cold winters...what ever happend to your auto repair shop or should i mind my own busness.

YAKO said:
BISON after 44 years of marrige and being a canuk these creatures keep you warm in our cold winters...what ever happend to your auto repair shop or should i mind my own busness.

44 years. I'm 36. That's a long time. I never had an auto repair shop. I frequently do some side jobs at a couple different shops. I did a lot at ottos when he was in Milford.

98% humidity at 90 degrees in S Florida would probably help it cure. My wife of 42 years is happy I play with car engines now instead of motorcycle racing.

Well EK02 I have been spending my winters in the fort lauderdale area for the last 9 years , I guess i am one of those lucky ones

Back