You can type here any text you want

Rear main seal replaced

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Ok so looking for a few more suggestions. Dropped the pan and replaced the rear main and pan gasket. Bottom end backs up everything the previous owner told me about the motor. Basically looks brand new.
The motor is leaking oil still somewhere above the starter or at least that's where it's running down to and hitting the crossover pipe. It's only leaking oil when it's running. So looking for suggestions on what it could be.

I'm thinkin valve cover--get in there with a good light and you can probably see where it's coming from.

Get some degreaser and clean it up a bit, then throw some baby powder on the back of the covers/heads. That might give an idea where it is coming from.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'd do somemore investigation. Why do a rear main seal if you don't have too?
If you do the rear main, leave the engine in the car, its easier. Theres MUCH MUCH more to removing the engine than there is to removing just the crossover and oilpan:muted:

Thanks for a the feedback guys going to start looking at the top end later. I already pulled the pan and rear main and replaced . Wasn't half bad, so at least I know I'm good with the rear main and pan now. For the future for anyone I would just say unbolt the engine mount and use a hoist to lift it 1 or 2in and it was a piece of cake.
You guys are a huge help, thanks

Thanks for a the feedback guys going to start looking at the top end later. I already pulled the pan and rear main and replaced . Wasn't half bad, so at least I know I'm good with the rear main and pan now. For the future for anyone I would just say unbolt the engine mount and use a hoist to lift it 1 or 2in and it was a piece of cake.
You guys are a huge help, thanks

Hmmm, that's interesting, when I replaced my rear end seal I drop the oil pan cover and it did rubbed on the steel frame, but it still slide out.
If you couldn't slide the oil pan cover out and it was hitting the steel frame, then you might want to check your motor mounts and replace if needed.
Many will chime in on what type of valve cover gaskets we all used, but I used Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket #VS39763TC (minor trimming)
I have apply some Hi-Temp silicone on the cover side not on the heads side just in case you might want to remove the valve cover again.
This valve cover gasket is made of two cork material sandwich between a thin metal.
You might want to check the front seal timing cover, just to make sure that's okay

Attachments

• Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket  CLOSE UP#VS39763TC.JPG
    Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket CLOSE UP#VS39763TC.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket Full View #VS39763TC.JPG
    Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket Full View #VS39763TC.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
So just pulled the intake tonight. Seals don't look bad, basically new since the rebuild the previous owner to me about. I guess question is, am I missing something?

Basically what is happening is when the motor is running everything is fine and it's no longer dripping oil on the crossover pipe and smoking. But after you shut it off it is leaking oil somewhere up on top back of the motor and running down the tranny on to the starter and dripping on the crossover pipe. Causing it to smoke when it starts back up. Oil will leak only so much then stop.

So is it the back of the intake? Is it the back of the heads?

Could be valve covers or intake--get under there with a light and check it out.

Just noticed that I posted pretty much the same thing earlier--did you have a chance to scope it out from underneath--maybe with the old baby powder trick?

No baby powder yet but it's a pain in the ass to get a good look back there. All I know is I have narrowed it down to the passanger back corner of the intake or head. But it's wild that it starts to come out when motor is shut off. Regardless thanks again for checking in and the feedback. Big help

Chasing down leaks can really be a trial--I pulled my pan off and re-did the gasket, only to find that the replacement front cover that I had purchased had a flaw in the casting, right behind the crank sensor., where it was next to impossible to see it. Oil was leaking out there, then running down in such a way that it looked for sure that the pan gasket was leaking.. You might try having someone shine a bright light from above ( at the back of the engine) while you are under the car.. might help.

Try some oil dye and a light. Did you pack a little sealant in the corners of the block and heads to seal the rubber gasket in there? Common for it leak there.

Are you talking the back corner of the block, head and intake? If so no they didn't use any extra sealant there just the black rubber intake gasket. Thanks for the input

In the Felpro intake gasket package, they give you the valley gasket (metal) the two rubber end pieces (front and back) and a small tube of black RTV silicone. The instructions state that you should put a small dab at the corners, where the head meets the block, to get the proper seal.

Can't believe I didn't notice this but there is no metal valley gasket in the motor.....

The stock style gasket is a "bathtub" style in metal. It's got a valley pan incorporated in it to keep oil off the bottom of the intake manifold and oil getting sucked out the pcv valve.

Back