Rear main seal: The Right Stuff grey or black?

NicksTurbo6

I have my motor on a stand and I just replaced the rear main seal. I filled up the sides until it oozed out. I ended up using The Right Stuff Ultra Gray instead of black. Anybody ever use the gray? Does it matter which one is used?

Nick

Probably not. Don't forget to smear a THIN line of sealant on the rear of the main cap parting line too.

I've used the ultra grey a dozen times and it seals as it's supposed to. I never did use the black myself.

Sorry to jump in and hijack here but could someone explain what the rear main parting line on the cap is and do you put the sealant on it once installed or before? Maybe a pic or 2 would help. Thanks

Like your talking to somebody who has never done the seal, but needs to asap

As you force the ultra grey into the sealing cavities on each side of the cap, the sealant squeezes out of the sides of the cap where it meets the block (parting line). Can't remember whether I smeared some additional sealant on that parting line as Earl suggested, but obviously, sounds like a good idea. ;)

100_0748.JPG

Here's a pic of what I did.. I used a thin smear of the same stuff I used in the cavaties in the yellow area.
In the red area I used a smear of anarobic sealer.
is this a good method? Not sure since this is my numbers matching engine still on a stand.
I no longer have the strength or stamina to get it back in the car and get the race engine pulled out.

The Right Stuff is some strong sealant and probably doesn't matter if gray or black is used.

I never use anything stronger than Permatex clear RTV on the rear main seal. I just make sure everything is oil free,clean and dry before starting the job. I also wait at least a week before adding any oil to the crankcase to give the RTV time to cure " This may be over doing it but i've never had one leak doing it this way".I use a damp piece of pipe cleaner instead of wire to incert into the RTV to help it cure .

Here is a link i use to follow to help me remember so i don't forget anything.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/rearmain.htm

All this information is valuable to me! Thanks for sharing. And especially the picture, Dave! I've replaced rear main seals on both of my Jeep Cherokees, straight inline sixes, but never a V6, so this is really helpful to me. I've got to do this soon....soon as my damn hip and back stop hurting all time...getting tougher for me working on cars.....sometimes impossible, but so much to do, so little time.....(Now where have I heard that before?)o_O

Again, thanks to all of you guys for this valuable information..(y)..and especially Earl's idea. Thanks, Earl. You da man!

Great group of highly intelligent, mechanically inclined guys here! What in hell am I doing here, then?:unsure:

Bruce '87 Grand National