You can type here any text you want

rear main seal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

three turbos

NUNLKME
Just curiouse im in need of my rear main seal replaced and was wondering is everyone useing the rope seal or is that gone by the waste side to the new style, I have never done one of these just the old school small block/ big block chevy stuff. If you guys could shed any kinda light of what im in for and pointers that would be great thanks,Eric

subscribed i had mine done at the local speed shop while transmission shop was rebuilding it for my mustang, didnt even cross my mind what gasket they used!

Just did a post about this.. Use a Felpro BS 40613.. ditch the the side seals with pins and use the the grey RTV... worked great. Can do yourself.. just have to get the motor up far enough to clear for the oil pan, which means taking off some things up front on the motor... and go with the cork gasket on the oil pan while your at it... here's the link to mine
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/346633-felpro-bs-40613-rear-main-seal.html

You dont have to lift up the motor trust me.The oil pan will come out.

Hey guys thanks for all the info,its been leaking but its worse now and the funds are tight so it looks like I will be doing it myself. I will check everyones posts and do my homework thanks guys!

You dont have to lift up the motor trust me.The oil pan will come out.
It will come out I agree, but putting it back in with new gasket & clearing crank & pickup tube... it's going up.. has to go in on an angle.

It will come out I agree, but putting it back in with new gasket & clearing crank & pickup tube... it's going up.. has to go in on an angle.

I have done many of them in my 23 years on these cars and not once have i had to lift the motor with a new pan gasket.

I have done many of them in my 23 years on these cars and not once have i had to lift the motor with a new pan gasket.

Laying on your back in a garage? Not getting into a pissing contest with ya, please share how? :confused:

Actually..forget it..to each his own, I just did mine and don't want to do "many' of them.

Done it twice without pulling motor mounts. Get some "Right Stuff" from Autozone for the sealant.

To keep from "lifting the motor" you just need to turn the crank until the front counter weights are out of the way and the pan comes right out. Did a few in my day and no need to make work harder.
Now on a TTA the engine has to go up.

pan gasket

To keep from "lifting the motor" you just need to turn the crank until the front counter weights are out of the way and the pan comes right out. Did a few in my day and no need to make work harder.
Now on a TTA the engine has to go up.

You got Brother,Thanks! And to hold the gasket in place so it dont fall into the pan use some tie raps and tighten them up but not to wreck the gasket or dental floss.

You got Brother,Thanks! And to hold the gasket in place so it dont fall into the pan use some tie raps and tighten them up but not to wreck the gasket or dental floss.

I used the "right stuff" to hold my gasket in place and seal it.
Looks like the only leak I have now is in the front cover.......
From what I can tell it is the front seal.

Just curiouse im in need of my rear main seal replaced and was wondering is everyone useing the rope seal or is that gone by the waste side to the new style, I have never done one of these just the old school small block/ big block chevy stuff. If you guys could shed any kinda light of what im in for and pointers that would be great thanks,Eric

Guess by me saying "raise" the motor this post turned left. I agree you don't have to raise the motor to get the pan out, but since your doing the main seal and the pan has to come out, I would raise the motor while your at it to put in a new pan gasket. If not replacing the pan gasket than do as some have posted. But if replacing with a cork pan gasket and not wanting to do again, raise the motor to insure no issues on the seal-lineup and the clean surface. Motor mount and some plumbing ..no big deal.

Leaking Rear Main Seal = Switch to Dino Oil

Used to have a leaky rear main seal when I ran fully synthetic oil. Switched to Dino Oil and voila! Leaky rear main seal pretty much stopped leaking. Apparently Dino Oil causes the seals to swell, and depending on the condition of yours, just may stop its leaking (if not it should certainly reduce the degree of leaking). :biggrin:

Give it a try and see for yourself. :wink:

dave

I did the rear main seal with the motor in and couldn't get the top half out and now it leaks worse so the motor is coming out...

There is a tool for removing rear main seals in place ,do a search called sneaky pete,,,dont pull out that engine

If rope seal is coming apart taking out-turn crank while using compressed air to blow seal out.
Doc

Back