You can type here any text you want

rear main still leaking

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

paccio

All that work for nothing!!! I replaced my rear main yesterday with the felpro neoprene. I did not use the side pins used the black rtv instead. Used the anaerobic sealant on the cap mating surfaces. I was verry happy with what i thought was a good job, this SOB is still leaking!!

Where did i go wrong? I'll try it again monday. Can i still use same seal or should i get new one?

Thanks phil

Did you use the pressurized RTV? where the surfaces where the RTV is suppossed to stick to clean of oil? Did you insert the seal correctly? Did you allow time for the RTV to cure?

Sure its not oil pan gasket?

yes i used the cheez whiz can of black rtv. I used brake cleaner to get it nice and clean.

I let it sit overnite is that long enough for the rtv to cure?

Next time i'm gonna use the rtv instead of the anaerobic sealant.

the grove in the seal points towards the front of the motor right?

the pan gasket is all dry.

i did something wrong this thing is leaking pretty good.

I always only use the cheese wiz stuff whereas it oozes through the front and back. The lip points torwards the front. Did you put a little lube on the seal when you installed it? Maybe it ripped it? I also install the seal flush with the block not offset.

Last time I did mine I put a very thin layer on the cap surface(RTV)

Guess when you take it apart.. you'll know.

Julio

when you install the cap back on do you rtv the sides of the cap?

or do you just fill the sides seal area where the pins go, and

then it ooz out through the sides of the cap?

I used the anaerobic sealant on the sides of the cap then filled the pin area with rtv.

I just put a very small bead on the edge of the block, making sure when the cap goes back on, it wont smear onto the seal area. Then put the cap on, then squeeze the RTV into the pin area until it oozes out the edges of the cap both front and rear.

Last one I did I put some assembly lube on the seal, so it wouldnt be dry.

Back