You can type here any text you want

Rear oil galley holes.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Back of the block one on either side of the cam journal just like in the front of the block.
The difference is the rear galleys use pipe plugs (threaded) instead of a cup plug.

Yes you would...
Just out of curiousity why do you need to access them?

Just got my engine back from builder and driver side lifters are not getting oil.
The builder thinks the front cam bearing spun. I was hoping to run a line from one galley to the other

Nope!!

Just got my engine back from builder and driver side lifters are not getting oil.
The builder thinks the front cam bearing spun. I was hoping to run a line from one galley to the other

Fix it right.:eek:

I bet

The front bearing didn't spin--it was built with no provisions for oil to drivers side. What cam and what block.

The 109 block (stock block) has a groove under the front cam bearing, so it will always have a passage to transfere oil to the drivers side lifter galley. If it is a stage bock, some did and some didn't. Maybe he left the galley front plug out, or it is a press in plug (stock) and it popped out. Tapping the front galley plug hole and installing pipe plugs is the way to go.

What casting number block do you have? If the machinist installed the cam bearing wrong (in a stage block with no transfere groove) and covered the oil feed hole, then it will eat the front cam bearing/journal in short order.

The block is a 4.1 (484). The cam is a custom hyd. roller and the rockers are
T&D 1.65 . Driver side dose have a little oil there but not much and it is loud.
The thicker the oil is the louder it gets.

The block is a 4.1 (484). The cam is a custom hyd. roller and the rockers are
T&D 1.65 . Driver side dose have a little oil there but not much and it is loud.
The thicker the oil is the louder it gets.

Ahhhhh.
The 4.1 blocks didnt have a groove in the front journal of the block they used a grooved CAM BEARING.
and the #1 journal on the cam is grooved to help oiling.
SO if you have a #1 cam journal that is smooth.
4.1 block.
and the wrong #1 bearing from a 86-87 3.8 block that can cause no oil to the L side.
Now as Turbofab said that little oil plug popping out is a big cause. I tapped mine because it popped out a few months ago.
Now if this happened suddenly and was fine before I would say that was the culprit, the spinning cam bearing isnt to common.
If it happened upon the first start after a rebuild the above could apply.

"Now as Turbofab said that little oil plug popping out is a big cause. I tapped mine because it popped out a few months ago."

BE SURE, that when you do the screw in plugs, that they do not block off the oil galley behind the ft opening!!
I got a set of turned down plugs from Ruggles. He's gone, so I don't know who else may have them???

T/A Performance has the right screw in plugs...one is milled real thin so it doesn't block the oil passage...

"Now as Turbofab said that little oil plug popping out is a big cause. I tapped mine because it popped out a few months ago."

BE SURE, that when you do the screw in plugs, that they do not block off the oil galley behind the ft opening!!
I got a set of turned down plugs from Ruggles. He's gone, so I don't know who else may have them???

A bench grinder will make a long plug short--just have to keep checking for fit.

Sounds like your oiling problem is caused by the wrong cam journal on #1. Smooth front journal. To solve it, install a oil cross-over at the back of the block. Easier than removing the cam and having the front journal grooved.

Back