You can type here any text you want

Rear Tranny Seal Leak - 87 Turbo Regal - 200R4

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jawort0

I have what appears to be a rear seal leak on my newly acquired 1987 Buick Turbo Regal. The leak appears to be coming from the area where the driveshaft comes out of the transmission housing. I checked AutoZone and they have a rear tranny seal for this car for $6. Can someone give me an idea of how difficult it is to replace the rear tranny seal on this car? Is it as simple as removing the driveshaft, pulling out the old seal and installing the new one? Can the rear tranny seal be replaced without dropping the transmission or opening the transmission? Upon looking at the area, it appears the seal can be removed from the outside without having to drop the transmission, but I am not sure.

Thanks! Joe

I am pretty sure you just remove the driveshaft, then pry out the old seal and tap in the new one with a soft hammer. Thats how I have done it on other GM trannies and never had a problem but I have never done one on a 200-4R.

Does alot of transmission fluid normally run out? In other words, do I need to drop the tranny pan?

Thanks! Joe

Does alot of transmission fluid normally run out? In other words, do I need to drop the tranny pan?

Thanks! Joe

Put jack stands under the rear axle so the rear of trans is higher. Should keep the minimum of fluid from running out.

like ss said get the rear higher to help with spillage, remove the driveshaft and pull the old seal. install the new one by tapping it in with a plastic or rubber mallet in circles till it is seated flush. take your time and use light raps to seat it. no need to try and knock it in with a few whacks. no need to do anything with the pan

Sorry to hi jack the thread,but should tranny fluid run out from that seal when removing the drive shaft??? Just pulled the tranny and it leaked out of the seal as soon as the drive shaft came out!!

Tranny Fluid coming from this seal is part of the designed operation (I believe). I am just learning these cars, but I am assuming the drive shaft has internal splines that go inside the tranny housing and overtop the tranny's output shaft. The tranny fluid is present to splash lubricate the splines to ensure no wear of the splines. The seal is there to keep the fluid contained. When the drive shaft is removed, the fluid present to lubricate the splines can spill out. All the Turbo Buick experts, please feel free to correct me if anything above is incorrect. I am speaking from how we do spline design work where I am a mechanical engineer for a diesel engine company.

Thanks, Joe

if you tilt that trans down you will have a tidal wave of fluid pour out. believe me i know! guy had his car on a lift at school replacing an oil pan gasket and the trans jack slipped off. i had to grab the trans to push it back up and i took a bath in atf. kinda sweet tasting when it's not burnt.

Back