You can type here any text you want

Rebuild almost complete. Anything else?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LS954

MH-60S Airframer, USN!!
So the block, pistons, connecting rods, crank, heads and intake are at the machine shop and most of the parts exept for the turbo and trans cooler are in. Just wanted to get some opinions on what, if anything i have forgot. The reason for all this was a blown head gasket and once my mech starting pulling everything apart found the block was .60 over and turbo was damaged. Heres a list of things going into the build.

.30 block(used)
.20/.20 crank(used)
forged pistons(used)
connecting rods(used)
heads are getting ported along with the intake to match
New ARP Head Studs
New 210/215 roller cam kit
New PTC 3000 stall converter
New PT6262 Journal STD Act E cover .63 turbo
New Crank sensor
New Plug wires
New Coil pack
New Oil Pan Gasket
New Trans Cooler
New TR Regal Turbo Protector and Oil Drain Kit
The stock driver side manifold has a crack as of right now im on the fence on weather to repair it or go with a set of Hye-Tech Headers

FMIC and Aluminum Rad were already in the car before the head gasket blew, along with couple other things on my sig. Right now the car has 42lb injectors and im sure ill be needing to purchase some 60lb ones if i want to up the boost. The car also has alky. Anything else i might want to look into getting? And what are you guys thought on the build?
I was also running 24lbs of boost with the ta-49 with zero boost and damaged compressor wheel in that same turbo, who knows how long i was running with it like that.

Get it balanced and be sure the timing cover is blueprinted for good oil pressure. 42lb injectors will take you to 118mph at 3600lbs themself without alky injection. Over 120mph with alky. I went 124 with a diy alky kit and 42's weighing over 3600 long long ago.

Don't forget the basic question, why did my head gasket blow? I recomend a audible knock alarm, wide band with wide band correcting chip from TT, and of course the famous Scanmaster. I'm assuming that you have new rings and all new bearings going in the motor. Don't forget about the all important break in procedure for the motor, in your case with a roller set-up, just get the rings to seat.
Good Luck with your new build!

Chuck

I do have a ScanMaster and an TT Alkychip. Why it blew not sure but when we took the engine apart we discovered it had the wrong head gasket, the block was .60 over and the cam was worn the timing cover was badly scorn where the oil pump gears sit in and like i mentioned before the turbo was damaged and with all of that i still wasnt getting any knock at 23lbs...Now shortly before this happened i did install the FMIC and i did set the boost back but i mightve not set it back enough and the HG just called it quits after that. But its a good thing it did or else we wouldnt of discovered all the other problems

I do have a ScanMaster and an TT Alkychip. Why it blew not sure but when we took the engine apart we discovered it had the wrong head gasket, the block was .60 over and the cam was worn the timing cover was badly scorn where the oil pump gears sit in and like i mentioned before the turbo was damaged and with all of that i still wasnt getting any knock at 23lbs...Now shortly before this happened i did install the FMIC and i did set the boost back but i mightve not set it back enough and the HG just called it quits after that. But its a good thing it did or else we wouldnt of discovered all the other problems
Post pics of your head gaskets

wish i could the engine was pulled apart begining of the month and all that stuff has been trashed.
Anyone have a rough idea of how much power this combo would net with a good tune

Enough to go 122-123mph with a good tune and the boost at 27-28.

will i gain anything by going with headers with this set up or would i be better off repairing the stock Manifolds

will i gain anything by going with headers with this set up or would i be better off repairing the stock Manifolds

I went nearly 134mph with stock ported ones last year

Post pics of your head gaskets

It blew on #2 out the front towards the turbo.:D Motor was never built for high boost. It was a reman by one of the mass motor builders. Wrong crank,.060,wrong head gaskets etc. 4 pistons scuffed,front cover was trash etc.

Starting over with someelses good used parts.

So the block, pistons, connecting rods, crank, heads and intake are at the machine shop

In all seriousness the rebuild is not even half over as I have not started to inspect and assemble the parts. And I won't be able until I get the parts back from the machineshop. I have a lot of quiet time ahead of me in the garage with the doors shut and locked!:biggrin:

These things have to have all the bearing clearences checked,then there's always the chance the crank may have a tight spot,then back to the machine shop again. Esp when you have someone elses used parts that are supposed to be good.

Then I still have to blueprint the front cover. And of course once the heads are on verify lifter preload,opps I forgot check cam end play.

So I've got a long road to go before I am done,then I've got to install the motor and that new trans,get it all running.

Back