You can type here any text you want

recommendations......

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SHADOWII

have a friend that wants a mild build non-turbo 4.1 production block. Anybody have any recommendations for cam, size of carb(4 Bar), Headers? Any combo's that worked well. I've only had TR's:biggrin: and 1, 2 barrel olds.:redface:

If he wants a car that will run about 200 to 250 HP then it shouldn't be a problem. Look on evilbay and you can find a cam and lifter for less than $150. You can either use a modified 4.1 intake or get the Edlebrock. Don't use the Edlebrock carb though, get a Holley or Q-jet. 600 CFM should be just right for it if you go with a Holley and if you get a Q-jet it's rated a little bigger but if the factory didn't have a problem then you shouldn't. As far as headers you can get some pacesetters or see if you can find an old set of Hooker turbo headers. They're perfect without the crossover and up pipe and have plenty of room to fit them in. You can do a single or dual with them as well.

What size ...

cam would you recommend? I have a brand new 206/206 and a used 224/224 both are flat tappet. I also have an old set of the TR hookers as well. The only carb I have is an old q-jet still sitting on the 83 turbo manifold. but it's elec. The same w/a new distributor, neither of which he can use. he should be able to use his dist. if it's in good shape. I'm assuming it's a vacuum advance type. don't know for sure. He has a stock intake manifold. Any suggestions?:confused:

as far as I can tell, if he has the compression go for the biggest cam possible.

I dont believe you can over cam a NA buick V6... The numbers just done lie.

The 7 pin HEI can be converted to 4 if you need to reuse the computer controlled unit.

I would use that stock q-jet manifold and either get an adaptor or find another small Q-jet to rebuild.

A.j.

I'll suggest ...

he purchase a holley 600cfm w/vac. sec. and maybe an HEI w/ vac. adv. and some extra springs to adjust the adv.?
So you think the 224 will work best? What about a 9/11 convertor, 2400stall?:confused:

he purchase a holley 600cfm w/vac. sec. and maybe an HEI w/ vac. adv. and some extra springs to adjust the adv.?
So you think the 224 will work best? What about a 9/11 convertor, 2400stall?:confused:

it all depends on the compression. if he has the stock compression i wouldnt suggest anything more than that 206 206... but if he has atleat 9 or 10 to one, definitly the 224.

A.j.

it all depends on the compression. if he has the stock compression i wouldnt suggest anything more than that 206 206... but if he has atleat 9 or 10 to one, definitly the 224.

A.j.
his comp. is 8.0 to 1. He doesn't have heads on it yet, may he can have them shaved to raise the comp.w/thin hg's?

that would be an improvement... but the amount to shave to bring the compression up enough is alot. this will require the intake to be matched. which will make the heads and intake a set.

but if he isnt looking for max power, I would just go for the 206 206.

A.j.

that would be an improvement... but the amount to shave to bring the compression up enough is alot. this will require the intake to be matched. which will make the heads and intake a set.

but if he isnt looking for max power, I would just go for the 206 206.

A.j.
Good point, I doubt he'd be willing to to go that far, as to mach. both. I'll suggest the 206 to him. What about the 2400 stall 9/11, is that a good choice?

You can't get much power off of an N/A set-up no matter how much you over-cam it. You can do all the machining you like and the power gains will still be moderate for all the money you put into it, (torque ability is good).

You got to go radical with the N/A when it comes to machining which means spending lots of money on everything. The biggest draw-back is the weight of the G-body, (over 2000 lbs).

Keep the mods simple and traditional and don't expect to go too fast. The only way the 3.8/4.1 will pull that hunk of steel brick is if you remove the interior and body, which pretty much leaves you with just a frame.

Been there....done that.:biggrin:

I'm gonna sugest the 204/214 cam myself. It's a great NA grind and the 206 should be close to it if you already have it.

Back