Recommended cat-back exhaust???

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
My OE exhaust system is starting to become laden with holes. This is prolly a result of being stored for so long and only having 13k miles over the last 13 years...Anyhow, I'm looking the replace the OE unit and would like recommendations on proven aftermarket systems that flow. So far all I have found is the 3" Flowmaster system with the single outlet for around $250.
Any others out there I need to look into??? TIA

Don't have flow numbers but the TTA list seems to like (or did like) the hooker cat back. I put that set on my car. Nice sound at idle, good sound at cruise. Terry Houston is making a cat back set up now, don't know much about it. www.johnsperfomance.com has it.

The hooker set comes in around the $200 mark to the door from Summit or Jegs if memory serves.

Brent

I am running the ATR cat back exhaust, it sounds great and is all stainless steel. I think it was about $550 or so when I baught it a few years ago, its supposed to "flow within 99% of an open pipe".
~Murt

SLP makes a good stainless exhaust,Best price of any stainless

31008 Exhaust System, 1986-89 HO 4bbl/87-89 TPI W/3"Cat 2 Bolt F-Car

www.slponline.com

Borla has one

Edelbrock has a good one,Seems to be everyones favorite.Mild steel though.

Try to go with stainless,Turbo cars are hard on exhaust

Joe,
You need to be careful with the hooker cat back system. Looks better in photos than in person.
For one, the muffler is not silver, but it is black in color...need to paint it silver. Second, it uses a header collector-type gasket where the intermediate pipe meets the muffler...nice for taking it apart, but potential for leaks. The other problem is that it will not let you rotate the muffler for best fit.
The tailpipes are not aluminized. They will surface rust in one week of use. The tips look close, but are larger in diameter.
One more thing, the intermediate pipe seems to hang down too much near the rear axle and limits ground clearance.

I like SLP exhaust, but have not heard it on a TTA. I have the 2ontheleft on a 4th gen and it sounds nice. I wonder if they make the split tip exhaust for the 3rd gen, then it would have the same style tips and their nice muffler.(just like the exhaust on the 99 up SS's)

I have had a Dynomax catback on a TTA, but it was very quiet. I think the p/n 17495. It only has a 2-1/2" intermediate pipe. costed about $160.

ATR is nice and expensive, but if you rev the engine and let off, it sounds like those fart cans on the rice rockets. So that turned me off on the ATR exhaust.

I would like to know if anyone has used the Edelbrock cat back exhaust on a TTA? It has a stainless muffler, the rest is aluminized.
I know someone that races their TTA and they put the flowmaster muffler on their car and it slowed it down about 1 mph compared to the stock muffler...he put the stock one back on and the mph went back up...
I hope I helped some.
James

My friend had the Edelbrock crossflow muffler on for a while. It was "Professionally" installed, and within 2 years it broke one of the outlet welds. That was here in NM, it didn't rust...

Thanks for the input, I'm glad I asked, as I would have thought that Slowmaster was the only company out there. I also like the SLP unit.....looks as though it exits out with 2 pipes which would allow me to weld on my OE tips. For the $, the SLP kit seems to be the best deal for the buck at this point. I would really like to use SS pipes this go around. I agree that turbo cars are hard on the mild metals. Thanks again!

I'll jump in here too... I don't know if I want to replace my entire catback just yet. My car currently has the stock exhaust but with a Slowmaster in place of the stocker. I'd like to replace the Slowmaster with a straight through type muffler, like a Dynomax Ultraflo or a Borla.

I see that Dynomax makes a SS Ultraflo that looks like it will fit. (need to measure the car though). Has anyone tried an SS Ultraflo on a TTA? How's the sound? I'm guessing it would be a nice mellow tone when under load, and nearly silent while cruising.

Or would I be better served buying a complete stainless 3" catback system? On my car (running low 12's) would a 3" catback be worth it, or would the stock 2.5" setup with a good muffler be just as good?

I'm planning on adding a 3" THDP soon, and if I was going to keep the stock catback I was planning on whacking the first 18" of the stock catback off and replacing it with a long tapered 3" to 2.5" reducer.

I wish SLP made a crossflow 3" system, then I could use the stock tips.

Originally posted by Gokou

I wish SLP made a crossflow 3" system, then I could use the stock tips.
They do, it just might take some modification to make it work. Maybe see if they would split up two exhausts for you. Intermediate pipe for our car and muffler/tailpipes from a 4th gen. Weld on the stock tips and you're done.

It should work as most everything from half the car back is the same. Worth a shot if you really want to keep your stock tips.

And I like the SLP too ;)

I have just put the slp on my car, and it looks and sound great. Not too loud at all. I have the two tail pipes on the driver side. I definitally recomend it.

I'm leaning towards the SLP system because I like the sound of their mufflers on the V8 cars-- they sound good, but aren't loud.

I could get used to the dual tips on the DS only, but I'd like to keep the stock look with the dual tips on each side. I'll have to call them when I'm ready and see if they could set me up with a crossflow.

How was the installation? Did all the hangers fit? Any cutting/rewelding necessary?

Hi,
One of my buddies used the stock system with an ultraflow muffler. If I recall, they just had to add a small piece of pipe between the muffler and the left tailpipe. sounded similar to stock, except a little deeper. Looked nice too. A good alternative to a cat back in my opinion.
I have the slp 2 on the left on a 4th gen and really like the sound. Nice if you can live with the 2 pipes only on the left. Smoother flow than a crossflow muffler...you can see right through the slp muffler.
My .02,
James

Will a car running low 12's benefit from a 3" catback, or would the stock 2.5" system with a good muffler work just as well?

Is it 3"? Guess I'll measure it when I jack the car up to clean up the mess the leaky rear main has left ;)

Hmmm... see any problem with going to a Dynomax Ultraflo SS muffler, part number 17266? It's a crossflow, stainless, straight through packed type muffler.

Link is here: http://www.dynomax.com/documents/ultrafloss_specs.pdf

There is nothing at all wrong with my stock exhaust (3100 miles) except I don't like that Slowmaster hanging off the back. I really like the Ultraflo's (I have a pair on my Chevelle). This way I can simply replace the Slowmaster with the better-flowing Dynomax piece and keep my stock tips :)

Gokou,
That looks like the correct muffler. 2-1/2" inlet and two, 2-1/2" outlets....go for it. Should be around $120 for the muffler if I remember correctly. You will like the sound.
Later,
James

Cool... I think I'll hold off a little though-- I think my driver's side motor mount is partially seperated, so I think buying the HRPartsNStuff poly mounts is a little more of a priority at this point than a better muffler :p