Exhaust, muffler recommendation

eagleguy

First I am not sure if this is the right section so please move the thread if it needs to be someplace else.

My 86 currently has the dual exhaust running straight from the headers(engine pipes) back unknown aftermarket mufflers. I am not liking the sound that much and was wondering what others have used exhaust wise that they found sounded well. I had a Magniflow system on my 71 Buick but for this car I only see systems available for the cat back.

Check out Pypes 2.5" dual exhaust. Good quality, sound,look and price. Putting the system on my car this spring.

I like my single 4" from gn1 . I heard RJC is awesome aswell

Pypes mufflers on my 2.5 pipes. Check out their website. Race pro here.

Last edited:
3 inch downpipe, straight back over the axle and out the back. Mufflers are useless,car is loud as hell but who cares. Hahahah

The Pypes 2.5 system is great and served me well, but I can't say enough about the GN1 3" system I swapped it for.

I love it!

3" RJC is really really good with my combo. As I have added components and tuned it has gotten better. Recently added the headers of whooof. I have installed a 2.5 pypes as well on a stock GN with race pros, didn't sound good enough, too quiet.

3" RJC is really really good with my combo. As I have added components and tuned it has gotten better. Recently added the headers of whooof. I have installed a 2.5 pypes as well on a stock GN with race pros, didn't sound good enough, too quiet.
What the cut out is for. Lol

The Pypes 2.5 system is great and served me well, but I can't say enough about the GN1 3" system I swapped it for.

I love it!

What is it about the GN1 that impresses you the sound? Ive almost pulled the trigger thx(y)

Last edited:
I just put the Pypes catback with their "supposedly louder" violator mufflers on my GN on Friday. I hate it already. Way too quiet. I should have went with my gut and went a different direction. Unless you're on a tight budget, take your time, listen to the cars LIVE and not on youtube before you make your decision.

I guess I'll be opening the dump more than I had planned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

What is it about the GN1 that impresses you the sound? Ive almost pulled the trigger thx(y)

Both the sound AND the look. I can't say enough about how pleased I am.

Attachments

• P4030203.zip
    19.5 MB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Not a problem!!! That sounds MEAN IM SOLD!! I gotta have these!! Thx TurboTguy!!

I just put the Pypes catback with their "supposedly louder" violator mufflers on my GN on Friday. I hate it already. Way too quiet. I should have went with my gut and went a different direction. Unless you're on a tight budget, take your time, listen to the cars LIVE and not on youtube before you make your decision.

I guess I'll be opening the dump more than I had planned.

Violator? Never heard of those as an option. I've heard the race pro mufflers with the pypes and it sounds good. I have a single shot and that's getting thrown away.

Violator? Never heard of those as an option. I've heard the race pro mufflers with the pypes and it sounds good. I have a single shot and that's getting thrown away.
Yes, Pypes has street pro, race pro and violator muffler options for their catback for our cars. The violator supposedly had near identical flow as the race pro but with more noticeable sound.

Insulated the trunk and still have drone noise at 1800-2000 rpm. So much for research telling me the Pypes system with Race Pro mufflers had the least drone as its actually worse than the no name pitted unit I replaced!

Sounds like the decision of the OP is made. I have the Hooker cat back system for years with aerochamber mufflers. Quiet and mellow, and often get compliments on how the car sounds going down the road. Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like the decision of the OP is made. I have the Hooker cat back system for years with aerochamber mufflers. Quiet and mellow, and often get compliments on how the car sounds going down the road. Just my 2 cents.
Do not know what to make of your response but at the least I am certainly dissapointed that after conferring with Pypes direct, visiting various sites and seeing reviews on the exact exhaust, I have the very issues the set up was not supposed to have. Choice was limited at the time as I wanted an SS system.

Do not know what to make of your response but at the least I am certainly dissapointed that after conferring with Pypes direct, visiting various sites and seeing reviews on the exact exhaust, I have the very issues the set up was not supposed to have. Choice was limited at the time as I wanted an SS system.

I just scanned over the posts and someone said they made a decision. I mistakenly thought it was you, the OP. Mine is just the aluminized 2.5" hooker system. I don't like loud and I've had good luck with the aerochamber mufflers, soundwise. :)