You can type here any text you want

Exhaust, muffler recommendation

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
He stated I might want to try changing to a cheap muffler or something like Thunderbolt TBM 1236 rather than swapping the whole system and see what happens. As my 2.5 system has a no cat (Pypes test pipe instead) and tips that go from 2.5 to 3"

Just out of couriocity I searched for Thunderbolt TBM 1236 and found them at carid on E-bay. Only $30 ea. (Contact seller for shipping).
So I contacted the seller for shipping, it seems these are made on Mars as shipping was $51 for EACH muffler to IA.
They are a perforated tube with packing like Magnaflow, Dynomax ultra flows, Hooker max flow, Borla and Jones (knock off of Magnaflow).
On other cars I've tried Magnaflow, Hooker max flow, Dynomax ultra flow and jones. They all sounded similar on the outside the car, but the Hooker max flow sounded the best on the inside the car.
The downside of the hookers is they are not stainless steel.
If you are game, Jegs sells a Hooker VR304 muffler in stainless. It looks like Summit Racing has them as well according to a web search.
image.png

Here is what Holley says about them.
image.png

Good luck in your quest for the perfect sound, as it can seem endless.

Cheers, George

As my 2.5 system has a no cat (Pypes test pipe instead) and tips that go from 2.5 to 3" I was hoping that one of those changes might be the cause of my woes.

If your tips are removable, that is a good place to start as on other cars I've used large, open tips that have induced drone. Changed tips to heavier double walled tips or exhaust tubing and no drone.

Just out of couriocity I searched for Thunderbolt TBM 1236 and found them at carid on E-bay. Only $30 ea. (Contact seller for shipping).
So I contacted the seller for shipping, it seems these are made on Mars as shipping was $51 for EACH muffler to IA.
They are a perforated tube with packing like Magnaflow, Dynomax ultra flows, Hooker max flow, Borla and Jones (knock off of Magnaflow).
On other cars I've tried Magnaflow, Hooker max flow, Dynomax ultra flow and jones. They all sounded similar on the outside the car, but the Hooker max flow sounded the best on the inside the car.
The downside of the hookers is they are not stainless steel.
If you are game, Jegs sells a Hooker VR304 muffler in stainless. It looks like Summit Racing has them as well according to a web search.
View attachment 286680

Here is what Holley says about them.
View attachment 286681

Good luck in your quest for the perfect sound, as it can seem endless.

Cheers, George
Thanks for the info. To be clear I am not searching for the perfect sound. I just want NO DRONE!!!!!!!!. I know its possible because the last exhaust did not have one as previously stated. Rather than experiment with something similar I might go with the Dynomax VT as they have a 90 day return policy if I do not like the sound. And that's on top of a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. To be clear I am not searching for the perfect sound. I just want NO DRONE!!!!!!!!. I know its possible because the last exhaust did not have one as previously stated. Rather than experiment with something similar I might go with the Dynomax VT as they have a 90 day return policy if I do not like the sound. And that's on top of a lifetime warranty.

Oh come on, where's your spirit of adventure. It's only money, you'll make more. Lol
It would be nice if everything had a lifetime satisfaction garranty, ask my wife. Haha
Make sure you keep us posted.

Oh come on, where's your spirit of adventure. It's only money, you'll make more. Lol
It would be nice if everything had a lifetime satisfaction garranty, ask my wife. Haha
Make sure you keep us posted.

Thank you!

At least one guy here understands that when trying to meet different expectations, any and all individuals will post different results........... Some, well some more positive than others.

Instead of not accepting, or complaining about the advice so readily offered here , perhaps the OP should come out of pocket and try to figure out his own problem.

Then post his final remedy here for others to try.............

Or maybe he should sell his TR and buy another V8 car with a cheap, readily available exhaust system and make that drone problem go away for ever.

Last edited:
Thank you!

At least one guy here understands that when trying to meet different expectations, any and all individuals will post different results........... Some, well some more positive than others.

Instead of not accepting, or complaining about the advice so readily offered here , perhaps the OP should come out of pocket and try to figure out his own problem.

Then post his final remedy here for others to try.............

Or maybe he should sell his TR and buy another V8 car with a cheap, readily available exhaust system and make that drone problem go away for ever.
How does this kinda post help??

How does this kinda post help??

It points out that the fact that you asked for advice, got a bunch of different responses, positive and negative for several different combo's. Then you made a decision that you are unhappy with and now you're using the same thread to complain about it and say you were "burned" by Pypes and everyone here that said it a good system, which it is.

I'm merely saying if you don't like the choice you made , go a different direction on your own because obviously no one here has been able to assist you in you quest to stop the drone.

Or don't.

Last edited:
It points out that the fact that you asked for advice, got a bunch of different responses, positive and negative for several different combo's. Then you made a decision that you are unhappy with and now you're using the same thread to complain about it and say you were "burned" by Pypes and everyone here that said it a good system, which it is.

I'm merely saying if you don't like the choice you made , go a different direction on your own because obviously no one here has been able to assist you in you quest to stop the drone.

Or don't.
Where did I say I got burnt by people on this site? I asked a lot of questions here as I was learning nobody seemed to have the SS 2.5" exhaust without the cat so I took a chance and it did not come out the way I had hoped. Instead of stating everything was great I thought I would share my experience so someone else under the same conditions might avoid the issues I had. I'm sorry if I did not take your advice and if I stated something in the wrong way that's my bad. Please do not quote me incorrectly. Could we now just stick to the exhaust?

Where did I say I got burnt by people on this site? I asked a lot of questions here as I was learning nobody seemed to have the SS 2.5" exhaust without the cat so I took a chance and it did not come out the way I had hoped. Instead of stating everything was great I thought I would share my experience so someone else under the same conditions might avoid the issues I had. I'm sorry if I did not take your advice and if I stated something in the wrong way that's my bad. Please do not quote me incorrectly. Could we now just stick to the exhaust?

From your PM - "I based my first exhaust choice somewhat on post found on this site and got burnt."

We've chosen to disagree, so now we should both be done with it.

Good luck.

I wonder if you could cap one tailpipe as a test? Idk what it will prove though! Might help learn something unforeseen.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions. I will post something after I make some changes and see what happens.

Back to report my race pros drone a little.
I started out with no drone and it got progressively worse over a short period of time which caused me to call Pypes thinking the mufflers may have been defective. I knew it was a stretch but if they would have offered me another set or different type I would have tried if the cost was minimal. As stated prior I was just told sound including drone was not a warranty issue. Good luck with your set up.

RJC, 5k miles no drone, bark like a bitch on startup and sound so badass in the throttle. At highway cruise speed there is little to no sound just a slight rumble. Cruising into my neighborhood coming home it is a little "poppy" the best comparison would be "harley exhaust" sounding. His exhaust was one of the best pieces of equipment of his that I have installed. Uses one muffler in the stock location, dont have to worry about hanging duals.... Spend the money, it never will go bad and be done with it.

I'll post a video in a couple minutes of it at idle and rev in garage. In the mean time here is one going through a tunnel with 20lb of boost

Last edited:
RJC, 5k miles no drone, bark like a bitch on startup and sound so badass in the throttle. At highway cruise speed there is little to no sound just a slight rumble. Cruising into my neighborhood coming home it is a little "poppy" the best comparison would be "harley exhaust" sounding. His exhaust was one of the best pieces of equipment of his that I have installed. Uses one muffler in the stock location, dont have to worry about hanging duals.... Spend the money, it never will go bad and be done with it.

I'll post a video in a couple minutes of it at idle and rev in garage. In the mean time here is one going through a tunnel with 20lb of boost

This is a 3" exhaust on a built motor, correct?

You're looking at your problem incorrectly. Mufflers only lower sound levels, they don't eliminate certain frequencies of sound. Or as you and others call it, "drone."

On the the other hand though, you've got resonators. The purpose of a resonator is to cancel out a certain range of sound frequencies. A resonator will typically give you a louder/more aggressive exhaust note, but it will cancel certain frequencies to stop droning and help eliminate interior resonance.

Maybe you should begin looking at resonator mufflers? They are out there or you can always Frankenstein your own. If you are wondering what happens when you mate a muffler to a resonator, it's actually pretty simple. You will get the characteristics of both.

On another note, Toby's pointing you in the right direction towards RJC. Well worth the money. I've heard the 3" system, it doesn't drone. Also, it's American made, T304 stainless, which will likely outlast your car. Plus, there's something to the harmonics of the metal RJC sources. Myself, I just recently switched from an ATR 3" dp to his 5" dp. I lost my drone, but gained in turbo whistle volume, since it no longer has to compete. If your turbo's got billet blades, it'll thank you.

Last edited:
I started out with no drone and it got progressively worse over a short period of time which caused me to call Pypes thinking the mufflers may have been defective. I knew it was a stretch but if they would have offered me another set or different type I would have tried if the cost was minimal. As stated prior I was just told sound including drone was not a warranty issue. Good luck with your set up.

FYI I have installed the same exact setup on an 84 hot air car and there is no drone. Now this car has no Cat either...so.....???? I also have a Buick 350 (allbeit a different engine) with street pros, no drone. I would do simple things as remove the tail pipes ( which is easy) and see what the sound is like. I know it may be louder, but sound resonance can change drastically because of many different reasons.

Droning has been a topic that has been brought up many times and certain MFG have taken the time to design their setup to eliminate the issue. I know I keep beating down the RJC, but if you read and understand how that system works and what was done to it to eliminate the drone sound you may find your way. He uses on pass through chamber to exhaust the gas (drivers side) and the passenger side does less work and releases expansion gases, or something like that.

I went with the 3 muffler exhaust , No drone what so ever on the highway and super quite.. I'd say more quite then factory, Perfect for a sleeper as I didnt really feel any power loss with this setup.

Back