Exhaust, muffler recommendation

Dynomax VT 17156 vs. 17956. Has anyone had any experience with these mufflers on a stock or mild build vehicle with a single downpipe set up? Heard the 17156 has a lighter spring than the 17956.

Are they a chamber type of design, or a straight through design?

A turbocharged engine should have a straight through design.

Have you considered installing a straight through 3" muffler in place of the test pipe? Find one with a stainless steel wool type of damping material.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exhaust/0505phr-exh/

Last edited:
I wouldn't use those mufflers on my car.

What is the flow path when the spring loaded flapper valve is closed?

yes. The system is 2.5" SS Pypes with 2 Pypes Race Pro mufflers and a Pypes SS test pipe. All going off a single downpipe which splits to a dual exhaust at the rear and exits at each wheel.

Last edited:

Don't like the design. Want a true straight through design. No baffles, chambers, or flapper valves to restrict turbine discharge.

Still think you should consider replacing the test pipe with either another straight through muffler, or a de-resonator.

Not that it will help you at all, but my pypes system with the race pros has horrible drone at 35-45 mph, 1800-2000 as well. No tips. Rjc 3" DP, PYPES included test pipe. I don't think that removing the tips will help. I just try to avoid slow traffic. Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I took my 2003 v8 Durango for a long trip this weekend. If I listen carefully I here that drone also. Stock exhaust system. Only one muffler two cats. 1600-2000rpm
I think all 90 degree v engines have this problem hidden to some extent or another. Just a factor of light load and that rpm window.

Not that it will help you at all, but my pypes system with the race pros has horrible drone at 35-45 mph, 1800-2000 as well. No tips. Rjc 3" DP, PYPES included test pipe. I don't think that removing the tips will help. I just try to avoid slow traffic. Lol

Which system has the drone? I am leaning towards the Dynomax 17956 VT's as I would like to save at least some of the Pypes SS system. They are almost the same size as the Pypes mufflers they would replace.

The same as you have right now. PYPES with the race pro mufflers. I have had it on for 2 seasons and seems to drone more as it ages. I run dual 2.5" on my 383 camaro with 2-18" long 4" diameter MagnaFlow mufflers and it's way more annoying at cruising speed, deafening. But at least a V8 sounds good. I don't want to hear anything from this 6 other than the turbo whistle. I'll be waiting to hear that magic drone canceling trick. As said many times already, the 3 muffler system is the only thing that works. I might try it next year.

Insulated the trunk and still have drone noise at 1800-2000 rpm. So much for research telling me the Pypes system with Race Pro mufflers had the least drone as its actually worse than the no name pitted unit I replaced!
YUP. Im on here now researching a replacement for my race pros. Maybe street pros who knows.