Exhaust, muffler recommendation

I've used Aerochamber mufflers and I have the Pypes race pros on the GN right now, the Aerochambers sounded good, but they also drone, the race pros drone also
I just ordered a pair of Dynomax VT, mufflers. They say drone free muffler. we will see when I install them next!

I've used Aerochamber mufflers and I have the Pypes race pros on the GN right now, the Aerochambers sounded good, but they also drone, the race pros drone also
I just ordered a pair of Dynomax VT, mufflers. They say drone free muffler. we will see when I install them next!

I can't say that mine drone. Is that Pypes system a 3" system? I have a single shot three inch on my TR powered El Camino, with one three inch aerochamber with only a turndown.. It does drone. It's much louder than the dual 2.5s on my GN. Maybe the 3" size aerochamber is the difference. :confused:

Sorry about the repost, my exhaust system is 2.5" Pypes system with a gutted cat conv. with race pros right now.

At what RPM did you experience the drone with the Pypes system? I just came back from the guy who installed my system. He stated I might want to try changing to a cheap muffler or something like Thunderbolt TBM 1236 rather than swapping the whole system and see what happens. As my 2.5 system has a no cat (Pypes test pipe instead) and tips that go from 2.5 to 3" I was hoping that one of those changes might be the cause of my woes. As previously stated, when first installed everything was fine until the exhaust seasoned, now it just sounds crappy to me at around 1800-2000 rpm or when she down shifts from 3rd to 2nd. I find it weird how so many guys do not experience drone when others do with the same systems! In the end I was told everything will drone but the noise is not bothersome to everyone in the same way!!

Update: I just got off the phone with Pypes again and inquired regarding my issue. Was basically told I had to live with the sound which is not warranted like an actual defect would be. That said I will be looking for a different muffler to buy so any recommendations are welcome. Prefer SS but want NO drone so I am open to all ideas!!

Last edited:

At what RPM did you experience the drone with the Pypes system? I just came back from the guy who installed my system. He stated I might want to try changing to a cheap muffler or something like Thunderbolt TBM 1236 rather than swapping the whole system and see what happens. As my 2.5 system has a no cat (Pypes test pipe instead) and tips that go from 2.5 to 3" I was hoping that one of those changes might be the cause of my woes. As previously stated, when first installed everything was fine until the exhaust seasoned, now it just sounds crappy to me at around 1800-2000 rpm or when she down shifts from 3rd to 2nd. I find it weird how so many guys do not experience drone when others do with the same systems! In the end I was told everything will drone but the noise is not bothersome to everyone in the same way!!

Had the system checked and rechecked again after some time and driving had past. No loose pipes, nothing rubbing, all insulators in place and system found to tight as a drum and look perfect. Even the bloody welded tips were checked for buzzing/looseness and the whole system was hit with a rubber mallet in search of noise..

A performance cat in place of the test pipe will end the problem. Or put another muffler there.

A performance cat in place of the test pipe will end the problem. Or put another muffler there.
Not to sound ignorant but how would that solve my problem? My older aftermarket galvanized system with the test pipe had no drone at all. I only changed it as it was loud from all the pin holes that developed in the pipes from lack of use. Keep in mind I also have a chip that was most likely programed with the car not having the cat. I even wonder if changing the mufflers effected anything. I do notice my gas mileage went up and the car does seem more responsive but the DRONE is not the trade off I was expecting.

Last edited:
Mine drones at 1800-2000 rpm just like yours does. I just ordered new mufflers, we'll see what happens with these Dynomax vt's when I install them.

Mine drones at 1800-2000 rpm just like yours does. I just ordered new mufflers, we'll see what happens with these Dynomax vt's when I install them.
Does it annoy you as much as It annoys me?? Can you give the specific part number and price paid?

Does it annoy you as much as It annoys me?? Can you give the specific part number and price paid?
Yes, it is very annoying, only when your cruising in that drone range, which seems to be the majority of the time.
I used Dynomax VT # 17156. I went on ebay, theres some guy selling them at $74.95 each.

In my real world I have this system and a performance cat and I have no drone. Good luck with your resolution. I will not guarantee your results by following my example.