recondition rods

ecmo92

After reading the Hi-tech article on the rebuild I had my Builder read it. Well, that got him going through all the clearences. Every thing is going according to the article just fine until he get to the rods, he says they've been recondition and they arent the same as in the article. Ok, so I order some stock replacement from Postons. Well, he now tells me they to are reconditioned! They are in better shape then the old stockers, in fact they looked brand new to me. They even came in Federal Mogul boxs, so will they be okay? I am using the ARP bolts. I guess what I'm asking is the looser clearence of the recond rods be ok?

Recon rods are just that..reconditioned to factory specs....or so :eek:
A recon'd rod isnt big on either end just becuz its recon'd, only if its done wrong or the wrong spec is supplied. IMO, just because its SUPOSED to measure up, dont assume its right. All flat surfaces have to be on the same plane, square to the length of the beam, the the holes machined to the right size with new rod bolts and moly installed. Over and above would be the rods checkd for equal weight and polishing the beam. It all boils down to who did the rods...not the company, but the guy personaly. I've seen some pretty hack wurk from an otherwise desent company because the guy who did the job had his head up his ass that day. I would rather have em done localy and checkd after that. That way, if theres a problem, you know where to call.
Good Luck,
Craig

Then where are these wrong clearances coming from? And why would Postons sell repacement rods and not tell you they were recon'd? But anyways, has anybody read that article? Is the rod clearances in the article the way to go? I cant tell you what they were, Rockford Racecraft (the builder) still has the mag and I cant remember!

What is the rod spec in the magazine and what is the measurment of your recon rods?

Originally posted by cam69ss
What is the rod spec in the magazine and what is the measurment of your recon rods?
I remember reading that article. It suggested that connecting rod clearance was very critical (which it is), & suggested no more than .015" clearance.

Like cam69ss asked, what are your rod specs?

I was told the clearance came to .016'. Is this liveable? 11's one day are not out of the picture so I would like to make sure every thing is right were it should be. Or should I say the best I can afford!!!:)

My rod clearances were ~1.8 on all of them and 2.0 on the mains. After 30,000 miles of abuse the bearings looked very good and the crank could probably be used as is.

I like .015 myself, but I bet if we took a vote, more would vote closer to .020? for rod to crank clearance. Don't worry about .016", I would tell you that is .004" better than what the majority believes in. :D