You can type here any text you want

Red brake warning light

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdanna

So I have an 87 grand national and i just started getting a red brake warning light
It only happens when i do a quick stab on the brakes, if i gradually apply them it doesnt.

Fluid levels look perfect (checked after pumping 10 times with the ign off like instructions say) and I dont see any obvious leaks anywhere.
I didnt do a really hard braking test to see if it was effecting braking performance, but the brakes seemed to feel about how they normally do.

Any ideas as to what it could be? I know this car has a wierd brake system that I dont fully understand, so im a bit worried to mess with it.

upon further research i think it may be the accumulator bulb. Is there any way to definitively test that before i buy a part?

Also is the install really this simple:
Accumulator Replacement

Wont that introduce air into the system? Wouldnt i need to bleed it somehow after that?

Yes, replacing the accumulator is that easy.
It may introduce air into the system, but it's on the high pressure side.
Cycle your accumulator a few times and you will be golden!

I went ahead and ordered one (the new style one, $130 shipped which is cheaper then the ones on ebay right now)

I really hope thats the problem, i went thru this:
Powermaster Diagnostics
And it points to the accumulator. When i drain it, then turn the key on it runs for about 7 seconds to recharge.

Also i did a road test and sure enough, i get really crappy braking if i slam the brakes, then about 3ish seconds later the full brake force applies and the wheels lock up.

Hopefully this fixes it - I hate working on brakes ;)

Sounds like the accumulator bulb for sure. It is an easy fix like mentioned above. If the fluid is old, flushing it with fresh fluid certainly wouldn't hurt either! Good luck!

Back