Regal GS brakes suck....

Spoolin Around

The Crazy Cannuck!
Brakes are done, they have the warpage thing going on. Just looking at the 3800performance site and see they have a nice set of cross drilled 12" rotors that you can buy, and they come silver cadnium coated....sweet, all for about $400 with new carbon fibre pads. What do you guys run for rotors and pads? Are these worth the quid?:D

I have had no issues with my stockers for 80k miles.

If you do upgrade you will get some nice looking rotors and only about 10' of extra stopping distance. Kind of hard to improve on the ABS system.

Unless you run AutoX a lot, I could not justify the extra expense.

i kinda like my GS brakes...

BUT

a good powermaster, stronger rear cylinders, and steel braided brake hoses will make a GN stop on a dime!

Wow....

New larger rotors are on, cross drilled units with 9-11 pads. Went with the cross drilled rears also. Also went with the silver annodized units. Car now stops solid with no shudder and I would say shaved off about 25' from my stopping distance. The car feels more stable when on the binders now and overall is more fun to drive. Best mod next to the pulley in my mind.;)

One reason some rotors warp is the wheel gets over-torqued, or unevenly torqued, like with an impact. Shops are notorious for impacting your wheels back on after servicing. Then, when they heat up they will warp, any make or model.
You also can get a few more feet off your braking distance just with some carbon friction metalic pads,(or eqiv.) this is one part that you get what you pay for...(Avoid cheap squeaky metalic pads...)

And that is why I do my own service and own a "beautiful" torque wrenck...thanks guys. Tell me more about these autobahn brakes on the Olds?:D

These Olds parts will bolt up to the Regal.

You need the caliper bracket to move the caliper out. The Autoban 12" rotor fits the Regal hubs.

Part#s

AutoZone.com $47.99
11.9" Front Rotors from Auto Zone Listed under 1998 Olds Intrigue with HD brakes.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com 96.60
Caliper bracket set for 12" front rotors. Available from the dealer or GM Parts Direct.

Any Dealer $65
GM 12" rotor for Oldsmobile Intrigue JA9

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com $306.60
GM Performance Parts complete 12" front brake upgrade kit. Rotors, brackets, pads, bushings and pins. Available from GM Parts Direct or your local dealer.

I've had this discussion before on other boards. With an ABS system there is not much improvement to be had out of bigger brakes.

If you are auto-xing then yes, there is better heat management.

In a panic stop and the ABS kicks in you are getting very small pulses. Thsoe 12" rotors pulsing, adds up to only an extra 10 ft in a 60MPH stop. I can't see the $$ justified in my opinion.

10 ft????

10 ft???? That is about the distance from the front bumper to the rear seat......:p

LOL
The way I look at it is like this, if I have need the extra 10ft I'm screwed anyway. :p

I think the brake mod rocks

I did the 12" brake mod to my wife's '99 GS she and loves it, especially since the fronts were so weak to begin with. She knows how to drive (she runs 11.50s in our GN after I turn the wick down), and is hard on brakes. Stops are now smooth and straight, and they add a measure of confidence while behind the wheel (Bob the Builder: "Can we stop? YES WE CAN!"). These are also the same brakes that are on the Cadillac STS and Camaro Z28 SS. Big brakes plus the big F&R sway bars from the 2000 Chevy Impala Police Package do wonders for a Regal! :D

Regards,
Morgan
'87 GN low low 11s
'99 GS (14.001 (dammit!) at 98.3)
'96 Roadmaster Limited LT-1 with some of the "du jour" Impala SS mods