Removing check ball 200-4r

bnewsom

I've been doing a little research on this forum and came across a couple threads refering to removing the checkball from the shaft that feeds the torque converter. Is my understanding correct that this will make for a firmer engagement of the TCC and make it hold firmer? What is the downside to this mod? My application is a little different than most on this board. I have a 3200 pound car with an Cadillac engine putting roughly 400 ft/lbs torque around 3000 rpms. (Its a work in progress but included a pic for kicks) I'm not racing but car will not be babied. Trans has a stock rebuild, hardened stator, rebuilt 10 vane pump with the hard rings, big boost valves (I think .500 &.377), ck's super servo and a Trango sk2004r kit. Goal is to firm up shifts and to have enough pressure in the right places to prevent slippage. Is removing this check ball a good thing. Just trying to do all the little tricks I can before the engine goes back in for the last time.
Thanks for any input.
Bob

Attachments

• 0806 side.JPG
    0806 side.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 238
Yes

Take it out. From the looks of your car--you have my blessing--I admire people who have the stamina to stay with a project. Best of luck.

Thanks Lee. Now what is the trick to getting the retainer out. I tried both to hook it and then tried thread a tap into it to be able to pull it out but had no luck. Then tried to collapse it with a small punch but only pushed it further in. Any other ideas or do I just need to destroy it and pull it out best way I can?

I use

A 1/4 -20 tap---turn to the right and pull outward as you turn it. That is the only method I have used to get them out. I see nothing wrong with destroying it as I never use them.

I use an easy-out. You may have to grind the nose of the easy-out a little so it doesn't go too deep into the checkball cage. :)

Had to grind the point off my 1/4" 20 tap and it came right out. After seeing it I don't think I could have destroyed it to get it out. I did not mention it in original post but converter is a stock D5 so hope this is ok. Thanks for the info.
Bob