You can type here any text you want

Removing factory lower control arm bushings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ikle

Today I decided to remove the factory lower control arm bushings and this is how I removed them.

1) first I drilled several holes in through the rubber bushing material surrounding the center steel bolt sleeve.
2) then I used a punch and a hammer to remove the center steel bolt sleeve and rubber bushing material from the outer steel casing.
3) I then put a hack saw blade in through the center of the casing, then attached the blade to the hack saw handle. I cut a slit in the casing from end to end, being careful not to cut into the lower control arm.
4) once I can see an impression being made on the opposite side of the casing from the hack saw blade I stopped.
5) flip over the control arm and with a regular screw driver or chisel and a hammer, beat on the impression to split the casing.
6) next beat on the casing with a hammer to collapse the casing inward, at this time with a few light taps of a hammer the casing slid right out.

This is my first time doing this so I don't know if this is the proper way to remove control arm bushings, but it worked for me and only took about 30- 45 minutes per control arm, at home, with regular hand tools. After I get the control arms sand blasted and painted I'll post how I installed the new bushings.

Kyle.

I just did mine and that is almost identical to how I removed them.

Back