Removing hood emblems

1967 GeeTO

I broke the "3" off one of the SFI hood emblems. I don't want to damage the original paint. What is the best method of removing the remaining portion of the emblem and also to remove the glue? Some one at the local parts store told me to try using fishing line to get the emblem off. He also said that the adhesive remover they sold didn't work worth a flip. The glue that was below the "3" is pretty hard so I definitely don't want to scratch the paint.

Thanks,
Sam Williford

The fishing line trick will work fine. After that use you fingernail to get the foam part of the decal off. Then when you get down to the last bit. 3M's adhesive remover will work to get the rest of it off.

GTO Pics

Hope this works. See attachments. I'm planning on taking it to Louisville this summer for the Nationals!

Sam

Attachments

• GTO.10.JPG
    GTO.10.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 119
  • GTO.11.JPG
    GTO.11.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 106
  • GTO.12.JPG
    GTO.12.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 94
  • GTO.14.JPG
    GTO.14.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 95
  • GTO.15.JPG
    GTO.15.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 94
The original emblems used "molding tape" to hold the emblems down. If there is evidence that some other form of adhesive was used than maybe some solvent made by 3M would work. I've had some cars where somebody didn't give a chit and glued the emblems on using the commonly available emblem glue sold at the body shop supply outlets. I had to carefully wet sand down the glue and buff out the paint. Some of that stuff just doesn't come off to well.

Thanks. I will try to go by a body shop and see what 3M products they have.

Brer Rabbit, did the attachments open? Not much prettier than a black GTO. You should get it back on the road. Is Louisville very far from Chicago? You should come by the GTO Nationals in July. Go to www.gtoaa.org for more info. I'm making some improvements on the car and hoping to get a silver this year. Doubt I can get a gold. I enjoy driving the car more than just on and off the trailer!!!

Sam