You can type here any text you want

Removing Spare Tire Well and Installing a Cover

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone make a sheet metal cover for spare tire well? Want to remove the well so I can install a nice muffler in its place. I have a horrible drone and want to quieten it down. May also center the gas tank under the car at some point for better weight distribution .
Conrad
ps...has anyone done this already?

Please tell me you are not serious about the gas tank thing....and why not just get a different muffler or exhaust system that works? You can't just "remove" the spare tire well.

Made my own in 18 ga, rolled the ribs in it, and plug welded it in. Primed the trunk, sealed the insert, and Zolotoned it....

Should be pretty easy. I don't know about moving the tank 4 inches, that may be worth than what it's worth. You should move your driver seat more towards the console to offset the gas tank weight.

Please tell me you are not serious about the gas tank thing....and why not just get a different muffler or exhaust system that works? You can't just "remove" the spare tire well.

it's been done before many, many times on other G bodies.. you could fit a bigger tank from something like a Caprice in there if it wasn't for that spare tire well.. but you should be able to fit some decent bullet style mufflers in there to act as resonators without cutting it out, just be ready for the GN purists to get all huffy about your "Monte Carlo" exhaust that comes out under the rear bumper..

it's been done before many, many times on other G bodies.. you could fit a bigger tank from something like a Caprice in there if it wasn't for that spare tire well.. but you should be able to fit some decent bullet style mufflers in there to act as resonators without cutting it out, just be ready for the GN purists to get all huffy about your "Monte Carlo" .

I'm no "purist" by a long shot but "exhaust that comes out under the rear bumper" on a Buick?

Really? That shit is ugly on ANY g-body, much less a GN.

Of course, this is only my opinion and doesn't count for much.

The OP can do whatever he wants with HIS car, and that's the bottom line.

Mike e.....the link is for 78-82 G-body!

The only way to get rid of the drone is to go with a crossflow muffler. There are some threads on her as to how to do it. Some people don't notice the drone or care about it but for those of us who do it was a constant irritation until one member came up with a 3 muffler system. I used dynomax ultra flow ss mufflers.

I know some people are doing 10's through the muff's with this system.

It will be too quiet for some but for those of us who regularly drive long distances quieter is better. I went through several exhaust system muffler combo's before settling on this and other than the crappy stock system it was the only one that eliminated the drone.

Last edited:
I removed the spare tire and covered the well on the Fox Body that I had a while back, so it isn't too terribly hard. I utilized some sheet metal as someone suggested earlier.

May be time to design and install a hemholtz resonator! That will fix the drone.
Conrad

Back