Repair cracked dash speaker panel

Gunmetal87

Wanted to see if I could repair speaker panel. The split was about 3/4 ways though.
I used a soldering iron to spot weld underside of crack. Then got a thin paper clip and cut and bent zig zag pieces to use as reinforcement Using soldering iron I heated zig zag pieces into plastic, sand smooth, then applied JB plastic weld.
On the top, used soldering iron to melt a grove into the crack, sanded smooth, then fill with JB plastic weld and sand smooth again.
Cleaned, liightly scuff with scotch brite, duplicolor adhesion promoter, then 3-4 coats of Kirban's interior paint.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382681543.322968.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382681568.291844.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382681592.586810.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382681614.820196.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382681631.955175.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382681656.245245.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382681507.873608.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382681507.873608.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 385
Thanks, I have to do the same as mine is also crack by the speaker area

Thanks, I have to do the same as mine is also crack by the speaker area

For the speaker area, I left the paper clip piece straight & melted in as far as I can get it. Then JB weld to hold it in.

Looks good! That's a repair that no one is gonna notice that it was repaired.

Now you just saved yourself $300 (??) or so on a new one.

Great work. Looks really nice! I need to try this. How hard is it to remove the speaker panel?

Looks good! That's a repair that no one is gonna notice that it was repaired.

Now you just saved yourself $300 (??) or so on a new one.
Thanks, trying to budget my restore. Still putting interior back together

Great work. Looks really nice! I need to try this. How hard is it to remove the speaker panel?

The hardest part was removing the 9 small torx screws. They're hard to get to because of the windshield. I took the torx bit off my screwdriver and it fit into a 1/4" socket, then put that onto a swivel adapter. Take the panel out carefully if it's partially cracked, mine had a snug fit and I didn't want to snap the panel in two. Hope this helps.

Great write up..should be a sticky....i use a "skewdriver " too....also I leave the screws slightly loose so the dash can expand and contract with tempature...

X2 - on leaving the screws slightly loose so the dash can expand and contract with temperature