Replacement Fuel Tank Suggestions?

I'd be interested to see the differences you have seen in the spectra tank, as the ones I have seen are just like the OEM. Now it may be possible it was a different tank, not sure. They are an arrogant company which prides itself on being the best in the business and will usually not skimp on making it correct.

im returning the tank to tamraz who may have been lying or not , but he said hes owned 2 GN's and never had issues, and he never has had a complaint for burmping gas out ...

I'd be interested to see the differences you have seen in the spectra tank, as the ones I have seen are just like the OEM. Now it may be possible it was a different tank, not sure. They are an arrogant company which prides itself on being the best in the business and will usually not skimp on making it correct.

The Dorman 307C tank I looked at (at Carquest) had a metal baffle/ wall across the back of the tank just behind the sending unit and did not have the dog dish pan at the bottom, not at all like the plastic baffle system of the stock tank.
I ended up getting a tank from gbody because it was advertised as having the correct metal baffling, of course I don't know who made it.
It has a similar metal baffle/ wall and the dog dish on the bottom. The dog dish version seemed to be the recommended tank on this site when I got it. FWIW

Last edited:
I've used 4 of the 307C tanks. All had metal baffles, dog dish pans in them. I get them from Bob's Impalas in AZ. NPF.....

The Dorman 307C tank I looked at (at Carquest) had a metal baffle/ wall across the back of the tank just behind the sending unit and did not have the dog dish pan at the bottom, not at all like the plastic baffle system of the stock tank.
I ended up getting a tank from gbody because it was advertised as having the correct metal baffling, of course I don't know who made it.
It has a similar metal baffle/ wall and the dog dish on the bottom. The dog dish version seemed to be the recommended tank on this site when I got it. FWIW

The Dorman is made by Jesse Lai. The one from Gbody is an LT tank. You are good to go.

The Dorman is made by Jesse Lai. The one from Gbody is an LT tank. You are good to go.

My second choice was the Goodmark tank from summit racing, but summit doesn't seem to know much about the TR's so I was uncomfortable with that purchase.
I know Goodmark makes very nice reproduction parts, but the sales staff didn't have me convinced it was the correct tank. Sorry Toby. lol

My second choice was the Goodmark tank from summit racing, but summit doesn't seem to know much about the TR's so I was uncomfortable with that purchase.
I know Goodmark makes very nice reproduction parts, but the sales staff didn't have me convinced it was the correct tank. Sorry Toby. lol
THats up to you. I work for LKQ which owns goodmark, sitting at my desk right now looking at the correct inventory in KC lol. They may not know the complete structure like me, as I own one of these cars, and am in product management with the parts. We have 3 options available in our reference data to the car. Order the one from Gbody, its an LT tank as well.

THats up to you. I work for LKQ which owns goodmark, sitting at my desk right now looking at the correct inventory in KC lol. They may not know the complete structure like me, as I own one of these cars, and am in product management with the parts. We have 3 options available in our reference data to the car. Order the one from Gbody, its an LT tank as well.

Toby- the LT tanks will work with E85 out of the box? Or do we need to have the tank anodized/whatever in order to run E85 safely? Can the LT tanks have a sump welded onto them so that an external pump may be used?

If not, do you have any recommendations for stock-location fuel tanks that have a sump or provision that allows the usage of an external pump? (Before anyone recommends the McRobb sending unit I have already looked into it and it does not seem suitable for EFI and high HP levels)

Thanks,
-Tyler

Toby- the LT tanks will work with E85 out of the box? Or do we need to have the tank anodized/whatever in order to run E85 safely? Can the LT tanks have a sump welded onto them so that an external pump may be used?

If not, do you have any recommendations for stock-location fuel tanks that have a sump or provision that allows the usage of an external pump? (Before anyone recommends the McRobb sending unit I have already looked into it and it does not seem suitable for EFI and high HP levels)

Thanks,
-Tyler
good questions. The tanks do not need anything done to them to run E85. As for your questions pertaining to having sumps welded into them for external pump use? That I am not sure of as I run stock location pumps, and have no experience in this matter. With this being said, if you are pertaining to the weldability of the metal, I am sure it is ok, once the e-coating is removed to make good electrical contact and flow.

I am looking for a new tank to sump as well. I was told not to use a baffled tank if I was planning to sump because you want the gas to go to the sumped location which makes sense. Any input?

So I just ordered the tank that Toby_Goodmk recommended through summit. The part number on the box is FTK010137 but the part number on the tank is 307C. Anyone had this happen? It definitely is not baffled and just has the dog bowl on the bottom.

So I just ordered the tank that Toby_Goodmk recommended through summit. The part number on the box is FTK010137 but the part number on the tank is 307C. Anyone had this happen? It definitely is not baffled and just has the dog bowl on the bottom.

Mine does.. Made by Spectra.

My early Spectra just had a dog dish. The 307C I recently got on AMZ has baffles. Looks like someone did a substitution on JD?

Toby- I can only find Specta's on CrossCanada, you might want to straighten them out :)

Last edited:
My early Spectra just had a dog dish. The 307C I recently got on AMZ has baffles. Looks like someone did a substitution on JD?

Toby- I can only find Specta's on CrossCanada, you might want to straighten them out :)

Sorry guys, no longer at LKQ. It does sound like JD got a misbox.