Replacing fuel system???

qbano65

I bought my GN about two months ago. Ever since I bought it, it has had a bit of a stutter. So my father and I took it to ANS and they told us that there was rust in the gas tank and that the loose rust was clogging the fuel filter. I agree with them, because we had them replace the fuel filter and the car ran awesome for about two days. Well we thought since the gas tank needs to be replaced we might as well upgrade the whole fuel system. So naturally there are some questions we have. First, where can we find a new or refurbished gas tank? Or should we just have ours blasted for $50? When we upgrade the the fuel system should we replace the fuel line? If so what type should we use, and where can i get it? We're probably going to use a Walbro 340 with the Plug and Play kit from Racetronix. Is there any disadvantage to using the P&P kit vs. a hotwire kit? Is a fuel pump regulator required or recommended? If we were to get one, do they make them so it can be adjusted while I'm in the car, where can we get it? I'm probably going to replace my injectors too. What type should I use (red, blue, green, stock)??? :confused: We would like to start ordering this stuff next week.

Let me Know,
Carlos

Also when I get a new exhaust ( hooker cat back probably) should I get headers? I havent really heard of any great improvement from upgrading headers. Just wondering

Carlos

The pnp from Racetronix is a hot wire kit. Hold off on the headers until your in the low 11's. You might want to get the adjustable regulator, it helps with engine tuning. Depending on the "condition" of your injectors you might want to hold off on them for now. Certian injectors need special chips. Good stock injectors "can" get you into the 12's. Maybe upgrade when your there?

The tank is up to you, hows your budget? They say the stock fuel lines (hard lines) are good in to the low 11's high 10's. Include a new fuel filter when you flush the tank. Enjoy.

Lots of great info here http://www.gnttype.org

Ron

KendallF is going to be bringing a good fuel tank with sender to sell at the Nats at BG. Check with him.

Hey thanks for the info guys. When and where and what is Nats??? It sounds to me like a giant swap meet. If I could get some info on it Id procacly go.

As for the gas tank you might want to use some Por-15 on it...they have an excellent fuel tank kit. Get an adjustable regulator for sure! As for the injectors well it depends on how fast you plan on goin gin the future??? I think an excellent start is some 30lb injectors but again who knows what you want to do with the car? Racing it in the near future? IF so then maybe blue tops will fit for you? I wouldnt bother witha new fuel line unless it needs to be replaced. New fuel filter again of course. Hope ive helped a bit.

Injectors

The injectors NEED to be replaced! I just need to know whether to go with upgrades or stock. I cant really tell you what Im gonna do with the car. Until next summer this thing will become at most a low 12 (hopefully). I'm gonna do everything I can without replacing the turbo, intercooler, or opening up the engine. I want to get my car as fast as it can be without replacing all that stuff. Then maybe next spring Ill start upgrading BIG things. However for now Im trying to concentrate on a low twelve street GN. I plan to take my car to the track a couple times to get some E.T. slips. But I probably wont be racing it at the track!:rolleyes:

Thamks Guys,
Carlos

I have a good set of blue tops with less than 6,000 miles on them for $175
If you're interested let me know they work real good.

well then go for the blue tops......sounds like a good deal to me and thats aboout what you should be running(that or the green stripes).....no chip needed but i would recommend one for sure! Im running a thrasher with the greens but a lot of people like different chips.....Red Armstrongs chip is apparently a popular chip as well.

I have a thrasher 93. The person I bought it from said the chip that is in the car is stock and also gave me the thrasher. However when I switched the chips the car ran like crap!!! Then I took a look at the chip that was originally in the car. It Says "Street Chip Phaze 1 " on it. And it has a code on it. I dont have my car right now but when I get it back (from ANS) Ill post exactly what it says. I havent gotten a chance to call the last owner to ask him about the chip, I think Im gonna give him a call today.

I bought the goods!!!

Hey guys I ended up going with a walbro340 with the racetronix kit, a new gas tank, 42lb injectors, and a turbonetics or turbokinetics:confused: chip. It's the setup that that Tom at Speed INC. (LS1speed.com) recommended. I went with it because it is the setup he has on his 87 TR. I'm pretty happy and I cant wait to install them. We're probably going to start tommorow (hopefully finish tommorow too). Any ideas on how long it should take us to finish the job. We arent experts but we're pretty knowlegeable and armed with a chilton's, I think we'll be alright. However any tips or insights are always welcome.;)

Thanks,
Carlos