Repro Window Stickers?

trip

15k all original 87 GN
Anyone know a good source to get a reproduction window sticker for a 87 GN?
Thanks

Research question

Anthony P (or maybe Turbofish38) - After reading the associated links to this thread, I figured you guys may have the info I'm researching.

Have you ever found out how to research when the factory recalls were completed? I think it would be an important step in documenting the mileage on a "higher end" car where there is not a lot of dealer/repair shop receipts showing chronological progression. Here are the steps I have attempted so far:

-Buick customer service - no help, car is too old
-GM Heritage center - no help, cannot research 87's
-GM Research center - invoice docs only. They referrred my to another office within that center who could provide no assistance.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

ladybug-picnic, you bring up a good point. I see you've tried turning over a few rocks to find the answers. If there is not a paper trail with the car, it would be very difficult to find which dealer performed the recall service let alone get a copy of the original repair order. Even when I knew of the dealer that did service on a car and asked for the records, I was told that the dealer only keeps records for about seven years, as the IRS would like. Then there are the situations where the dealer is no longer in business.

Just thought of something....if a dealer can tell you that your car has already had the brake switch recall service performed (when you tell them the VIN and recall campaign #) or the chip recall....maybe the same records tell when and where the service was done since recall campaigns never expire. I haven't thought about this approach before. I'll ask my local dealer next week and post the results.

Thanks for all the info, Im now looking at my sticker and I cant seem to find the Ramp code? I have a pic of the sticker if someone can pin point it out for me, thanks alot

trip

trip,
ramp code =bottom right of sticker, big block letters on the original sticker

refer to the link in post #3 above. i've said this before, please read...if you're looking at your reproduction and you did not specify the ramp code, Bill did not put one on the sticker for you.

ladybug picnic, i contacted a few GM dealers by me and no luck. they say their database for recall information only goes back maybe 10 years. VINs HPxxxxxx come up as not a good VIN. So it looks like the only service records available are within the past 8-10 years or so. Similar to what I posted before regarding dealers only keeping records for about 7 years per IRS audit standards.

ramp codes on original window stickers

trip, i attached a couple of samples from the files...ramp codes PP and AT.

Attachments

• 1987 GN WSticker HP459042.JPG
    1987 GN WSticker HP459042.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 1987 GN WSticker HP460311.JPG
    1987 GN WSticker HP460311.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 173
  • GN HP459529 window sticker.jpg
    GN HP459529 window sticker.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 166
I ran a few, okay just about every VIN I had into the data base I have access to and about 20% of them showed up as legit cars needing the campaign performed. Thats about it. Heck I couldn't even find out if GM was still liable to perform a safety campaign on a 20+ year old car. I remember a few goofballs looking for those special motor mounts used on the 69 Camaros and GM more or less told those guys to get lost. You should be able to find those same ramp codes on a GNX window sticker if that helps you 87 TR guys any.

Does anyone know of a source to find the history of a car? Meaning original selling dealer owners and so on.Mines no rare bird but would like to get the repro. sticker and trace back the original abusers,er I mean owners would be cool too.

In post #3 of this thread I list what you need to do. the dealer invoice will give you the original dealer info. most likely if the dealer is still in business, no records exist that far back. so you can research the VIN with the state motor vehicles department and get copies of each title and application for title (original sale) that the state has on record.

the only problem is some state DMVs only requires cars to have title records if they are 15 models years old and newer. as soon as a car gets to that 15 model year age, all records are purged. NH is like that but MA requires a car to have a title no matter how old it is. find out what your state's policy is.

I was able to get copies of all the previous titles and the original application for title from the original sale for one '87 GN from MA registry of motor vehicles. naturally there is a small fee $10 for each record.

remember that your current title lists the previous title #. you know where you bought the car from so get a copy of the title before you from motor vehicles. that title will have the previous title # and owner's info and so on to backtrace the ownership record. each state's dept of motor vehicles has info on-line for how to obtain previous records and if you call, typically there is only one person who handles this task and knows exactly what you are trying to do. that in itself is pretty nice so you don't have to explain "why on earth do you want that?"