You can type here any text you want

Reuse of Rotating Assembly?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1983.REGAL.LC2

After losing a rod bearing in 19988, I had my 83 regal engine rebuilt to use with a turbo . .030 over TRW forged pistons , new GM turbo crank, re-sized rods,cloyes true roller timing chane, Kenn-Bell 360 deg grooved main bearings and a KB TXB turbo cam . Had the engine balanced, drove the car for a year and a half with the stock 2bb carb for about 20K miles ran very smooth but no power. After hitting a deer the car sat for 19 years in the shed .

Last summer I bought a low mile 109 block from a 86 old cutlass off of Brian Weaver (G-body parts)
Would their be any problem reusing the pistons , rod and crankshaft with the 109? If the cylinders true enough would like to use standard size pistons if not I 'll have it bored +30. I want to build this engine to produce 450 to 500 HP max and be reliable in the long term. Since I am at the starting point of building a engine for the 83 -86 T-type clone I am open for any suggestions?

I really like the Thread on here about using factory Roller lifters in the 109 engine.

Attachments

• 83  work in progress.jpg
    83 work in progress.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 84
I dont see why not. I would have everything checked and get it rebalanced with new pistons and turn up the boost.I would not reuse any bearings.Remember lower compression. I would go .020 that way if yau have any problems down the road you can always go another .010. I know people go over more than .030 but I would not. Good luck

Measure your clearances - if the clearances work out, you should be ok.

If I remember correctly, there is a Clevite Bearing technical paper says the 360-degree grooved bearings reduce the ability to carry load. There is a smaller surface area carrying the same load when compared with 180-degree grooved main bearings. I would be interested in hearing about proper applications of 360-degree bearings.

Read as much as you can take in. Print or make PDF files of the useful articles, threads, technical documents (they disappear occasionally). Then come back with specific questions or topics where you cannot find information. Feel free to send a private message.

Paul Lohr

maybe you didnt read this part as i did
"Last summer I bought a low mile 109 block from a 86 old cutlass off of Brian Weaver (G-body parts)"

if this 109 was from a cutlass ..its an NA 109 with cast pistons and a NA crank

the NA crank may not like 450-500hp through it .. but it has done it before
you need turbo pistons , the cast NA pistons will not last
, with new heavy turbo pistons youll need a rebalance of the crank , a flywheel for a turbo and a turbo balancer with a crank sensor trigger wheel

best bet is get a set of turbo pistons and a turbo crank for that 109 block

maybe you didnt read this part as i did
"Last summer I bought a low mile 109 block from a 86 old cutlass off of Brian Weaver (G-body parts)"

if this 109 was from a cutlass ..its an NA 109 with cast pistons and a NA crank

the NA crank may not like 450-500hp through it .. but it has done it before
you need turbo pistons , the cast NA pistons will not last
, with new heavy turbo pistons youll need a rebalance of the crank , a flywheel for a turbo and a turbo balancer with a crank sensor trigger wheel

best bet is get a set of turbo pistons and a turbo crank for that 109 block
i think (first mistake) that the guy wants to Re-use his old stuff "new turbo crank" in the recently purchased replacement block.

id clean up the old block, push some oil through it and fire it up.... why switch all the guts out? the 83 block would be just fine for that power level. and iff the engine was properly stored why would it be bad?

Back