You can type here any text you want

Rewiring fan relays

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

I will be rewiring my fan in the very near future, and i will be replacing the factory crap-tastic fan with and flex-a-lite fan.

I would like to rattle off some ideas with some people, to see what my options are.

First off, on the passenger inner fender there are two relays and one other black box. From what i have read, the big one is the fan delay relay, and can be removed. So what about the other two relays? Are they the high and low speed relays?

The aftermarket fan has only two wires compared to the factory one with three, and i basically want the fan either on or off, high speed/low speed is irrelevent for me, so in theory only one 30A relay is needed? Is that correct.

Am i able to rip out one of the relays that is not controlled by the XFI and the other black box, and simply just run a power and ground to the fan???

Looking for advice,

Adrian

Adrian,

The Fan relays are on the drivers side inner fender.

The passenger side inner fender holds the ESC module, Fuel pump relay and the Air Conditioner Compressor relay.

George

Hey George,

I got all that figured out, but i am curious as to which one is the low fan relay that would be keeping if i could infact keep it.

I think the best way of going about this is taking the lead from the ECU and tracing it to the main relay, and use just that one. The others including the delay box, i will discard.

That is the plan at least.

Hey George,

I got all that figured out, but i am curious as to which one is the low fan relay that would be keeping if i could infact keep it.

I think the best way of going about this is taking the lead from the ECU and tracing it to the main relay, and use just that one. The others including the delay box, i will discard.

That is the plan at least.

"Quote"

First off, on the passenger inner fender there are two relays and one other black box. From what i have read, the big one is the fan delay relay,

I was just making sure that you were talking about the correct relays, as you said in your post, the "passenger side" inner fender for the fan relays and they are actually on the drivers side.

The Low speed fan is controlled by the ECM. Your XFI should look after it

Go here !

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/manfan.gif

http://www.gnttype.org/maint/sensors.html

George

WoW George,

I am truely dislexic, what i meant was drivers side

Opps

The factory power source for the fans feed from the starter with fusible links, considering the distance and the gauge of the factory wiring I would not use it to run a 30 amp fan.

Run a 10 awg wire from the battery with a fuse within the 12" mount it on the inner fender and then go to a relay and use the factory relay to trigger your new fan relay and all is good and you wont lose 2 volts through the factory wiring to the fan.

Back