Riviera T-type trans info needed

G_Whiz79

Looking for some info for the th-325 trans (fwd). Is this the same trans for the turbo cars? I am restoring my 83 Riviera and was wondering how much power can these things handle? I want to swap in a turbo 3.8 but I am looking to mod it fairly heavily but do not want any problems with the transmission. I was looking for something in the 400hp range. I do not plan on racing this car but I need it to be reliable as it will be my daily driver. No one seems to know much about these around here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

fwd trans

go to oldspower.com under fwd there are a couple of people with toronados with the riv 3.8 turbo trans in there cars

My dads has a v8 riveria, and I have a T-type. The T-type shifts much harder than the V8 trans. It will chirp 2nd on dry pavement. V8 will not. I guess it has a different valve body. The turbo v6 will have double the low end torque, so I think it would burn out the normal trans.

PM a message to "Turbo Rivieria" his name is Scott also. He has a fast Rivieria.
Scott

The 325C has the internals of a 200-r4, just a different case. It doesn't share any parts with the transverse mounted 3.8 engine 440-T4 P.O.S. It should be a reliable trans for quite a bit of power. Anybody who knows their way around a 200-r4 should be able to build a 325C.

Dave

Who said anything about transverse engines? Good luck putting a Rivieria T-type motor sideways! I was wondering what difference there is between the trans in a V8 /vs turbo v6. The cars that had a v8 were cady eldorado, olds toronado, buick rivieria, 79-85.all had same trans, but turbo V6 had a better feeling trans. Must of had a different valve body/ converter/ what else?

Here is what I know. The 325-4L shares about 50% of its internals with the 200-4R. It uses the same TC.
Now the differences between your 83 and the 84-85 turbo engined 325. Your 83 is probally a lot closer to the V-8 version as far as specs. They all have different VB calibrations and they only lock up in OD. The 84-85 hot air Rivs locked up the TCC in 3rd and 4th like the 200-4R in the TR's and thus they also have different VB because of this. I think you would be realisticly looking at about 250-300HP if you are still using the carb on your 83 turbo. Look over in the b4black section to see what power levels those guys are making. If you think you can make 400 than I would try to get a 84-85 325-4L used in a hot air as those may have beefier internals from the factory. There are no HD parts other than the stuff that is used in TRs for this transmission. A bone stock trans would be a reliable piece up the 300-350HP or 450lb/ft range. Anything more and you are asking for trouble. The weak spots are the TC stator splines and the output shaft splines not to mention the final drive. Maybe Scott North will chime in with what it takes to drag race prep one.

Hey fish, I do not think this guy is going to use a carb. There is no such thing as a carbed Rivieria T-type motor, and that was what he wants to use. The trans in a T-type rivieria is much better than what ever he has now. He never said what motor is in his Rivieria now. Deisel? V8? N/a 3.8? Who knows? Get a T-type trans for the proper valve body to match the low end torque of the motor. 300ft/lbs @ 1800rpm! that will tear up a regular tranny quick, not enough line pressure. T/V cable will not be in harmony with torque/rpm.

Scott

1983 T-Type Riviera CARBED TURBO -Q-Jet
NHRA National Record Holder DF/SA 2000-2002
2004 Lucas Oil Divison 1 Oldbridge Township Raceway Park NJ number 1 qualifer in Stock Eliminator in BF/S 13.83 @ 99.98mph 1.614 under index
325-4l transmission by Eric Schertz of Dynotech Performance Manville,Nj

Tony

Well, I learn something new every day. I thought for sure the Rivieria T-type was a 84-85 only. What years were they produced? I am a member of the ROA, and never heard of a 83 Riv t-type. Never seen any info in Buick books either.

Scott

thank you sir! I had to dig deep for a littlle info, but very good stuff!

Never seen any of the old odd ball turbo buicks. I will be on the lookout for turbo motors in the local graveyard.

Scott

I have the complete (GM Dealer) manuals for a 83 riviera tubo t-type. I can do some research for you if you would like?

Well, I learn something new every day. I thought for sure the Rivieria T-type was a 84-85 only. What years were they produced? I am a member of the ROA, and never heard of a 83 Riv t-type. Never seen any info in Buick books either.

Scott
They started in 79 and they were called "S" Type. BEFORE BLACK - Turbo Riviera