You can type here any text you want

RJC's New Intercooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Do you think that formula is universal regardless of core design and tank design. I.E. tube & fin or bar and plate. I know for a fact there are some bigger units that do not work as well a some that are smaller
Mike

yes, i think that "this rule of thumb" can be skewed slightly one way or another by some design features. The main one being how much air you can pass through it. (not charge air)

Nice Job Jason!!!

Pretty interesting info Jason, sure sounds like you have spent some time researching behind the scenes for a while. We could sure spend some time talking about intercoolers at BG.

Congrats on your developement and stepping up to the window with the new cooler. I am sure with the research and time you put into developing your products it will be all you say it is.

Kick a$$ price too.

thanks guys.

and yes of course we are testing... testing never stops does it?

Is there such a thing as too much intercooler for a given turbo?
Sure is! If the intercooler costs ten times as much as the car, that's WAY too much intercooler. If it's only twice as much, it's still too much intercooler. In intercoolers, as in all things, you don't get something for nothing. To get more cooling capacity, you have to increase surface area, and/or the flow of cooling air. You add weight, and can block the flow of air to the radiator. Or you can increase the pressure drop through the IC. So, you balance things off. How much cooling do you really need, and how much money are you prepared to spend? As to too much COOLING, the Japanese found that they could get too much cooling for the Formula 1 Hondas. They were using alky, I think, and if the air into the manifold got to be less than about 140F, then the alky didn't evaporate as well, so they would block off part of the intercoolers when the weather was cool. Also, note that an IC does not really have a "horsepower" rating. The IC needed to make 1000 horsepower on a 500 inch big block chevy would be very different from the IC needed to make 1000 horsepower on a 150 inch ricemobile. Much more flow for one, much more boost for the other.

Jace, have you considering testing your IC along with a tube and fin or extruded tube and fin core before releasing it?

If your going to run some tests, might as well see which core gives you what you are looking for and be done with it.

$900 for a complete and monsterous FMIC is a good deal IMO. :D

DR.BOOSTER said:
Jace, have you considering testing your IC along with a tube and fin or extruded tube and fin core before releasing it?

If your going to run some tests, might as well see which core gives you what you are looking for and be done with it.

$900 for a complete and monsterous FMIC is a good deal IMO. :D

Yes we are going to be testing it and comparing it to an almost identical shaped Tube fin intercooler.

According to all of the aftermarket companies that make intercoolers bar and plate cores are the best and most efficient. Our testing will tell us that.

This intercooler was designed with these things in mind.
Core dimensions; largest possible area cooling area you can fit in the front of a turbo regal and still be legal for TSM and other events.
Core thickness; Cooling air being able to pass through it easy enough for street cars to maintain engine operating temps and yield the maximum amount of heat transfer and yet large enough to ensure the least amount of pressure drop.
#3 make it economical. We wanted the best price on a front mount out there to help support our customers.

The design is totally complete. The testing never is. ;)

I think most of you will agree that having the best intercooler for the best price is a win win situation for everyone.

Back