You can type here any text you want

Rods and Mains

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CGASTON

I have briefly read through the forums and have started to wonder what type of rods and main bearings everyone is using. Last time I put my motor together was several years ago and I used Clevites. So please tell me what bearing you are using and why? Pros and Cons..... Thanks!

Bearing availability is getting a lot tougher on Buick engines. For my S2 engine I use Clevite 1398H bearings on the rods and FM 107M bearings on the mains. I use Clevite cam bearings...the number escapes me at the moment. Why? Well I would prefer to use the Clevite "V" series bearings, but I can't get the "V"s in - .001 or +.001 any more. The V series are a Vandervell formulation that is a bit softer and has better conformability than the H series. Clevite also stopped making the 77 trimetal mains in -.001 and FM is the only option there too. I buy the individual Clevite cam bearings so I can get the extra wide bearings for all 4 positions.

For a street engine, I use the Clevite P series rods (available in .001 US) and FM mains for the same reason stated above.I try to use std/std cranks whenever possible so I can selectively fit bearings and keep the clearances exactly where I want them.

Dave

Really..... Seems like they are trying to kill off the turbo cars. So where are you buying your bearings?

Bearing manufacturers only make what they can sell. There are fewer and fewer people playing with Turbo Buicks. Just like Bob Dylan said: "The Times, they are a changin"

Back