You can type here any text you want

roller cam . cam sensor problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qwknuf6

100% STREET CAR
I posted this in tech , thought I would give it a try here

Twice when spinning the tires hard the eng. has backfired and quit running and will not idle, If I get the car restarted and unplug the cam it will run ok . Rechecked the cam sensor and it is out of adjustment , WAY OUT . I tried a diff cam sensor after the first time and the same situation happened again , hard tire spin ,backfire and the car will not run barely idle until I get the cam sensor unplugged .
Could the cam sensor itself be moving ? I checked the tang on the ring and it is not broken . Could the gear on the ROLLER CAM be the problem ? Jumping teeth? Gear come loose from the keyway? I may be hitting the rev limiter and that is why it backfires all of the sudden , could the backfire move the cam sensor ?I checked both cam sensors over and seen no problems with them .
Mark

BTW I Just took the car for anothe test drive and it did it at 12 lbs of boost and no wheel spin ,car ran great and at 12 lbs boost nd lite accel it backfired and would not run properly till I unhooked the cam sensor , I guess the frt cover will need to come off

Roller drive problem??

Was a thread some time ago that had the cam gear retainer washer caving in and the key taking the load.. If that happened to you, then the senso out of time could be the cam gear slipping on the cam, not broken off, just loose. Then when the boost comes up, the cyl PSI goes up and the load on the cam to open the valves goes up... Yadda Yadda.. you see where this is going??..:(
Now the sensor is far enuf out of time that it backfires and the valves really get hammered...
You can verify by checking the cam sensor for setting B4 you pull it apart. If it's not at the correct setting, it's changed thru hi force being applied...
The sensor roll pin isn't twisted or sheared is it??

If it's not at the correct setting, it's changed thru hi force being applied...
The sensor roll pin isn't twisted or sheared is it??.....................
Chuck ,
I verified the sensor has moved , The roll pin was not sheared off on the first cam sensor , havent pulled this one but I think the problem must be in the gear, washer waterever cam pieces . back th wrench'n

Something is moving, I would leave the sensor in the engine, remove the cap and try with your hand to spin the reluctor and put some A** behind it. The tab may appear to not be broken when it really is.
The only load on the drive and driven gear is the oil pump so you could possibly have a problem here. I dont want to sound too confident but I have busted ALOT of cam sensors before my latest modification that will permanently fix it. I would really look closely at the reluctor, take it apart. It usually does happen with wheelspin or hard/fast acceleration as the sensor is thrust downward and the reluctor catches on the top of the aluminum body of the sensor and breaks the tab. It doesnt happen much on a hydraulic flat tappet for 2 reasons, the roller cam drive gear has a larger contact patch (on the mesh) allowing it to "grab" the driven gear more effectively, and a flat tappet cam will not turn the rpms where this usually occurs. Chuck, again not trying to be a smarta** but as the boost comes up the valves will open easier and the cam will have less of a load on it because boost pressure helps to force them open, that is why we run tighter spring pressures than a N/A engine. At no point in the 4 cycles of the engine does the int. or exh. valve try to open under cylinder pressure you have the back pressure in the exhaust with a turbocharger but that really wont amount to much of a load on the camshaft. If you find the key twisted at the drive gear of the cam sensor, something would have surely gone through the oil pump or even bound it up to cause this, even if the washer collapsed. Now if the cam (timing) gear were slipping on the cam, you would have severe problems if you know what I mean.
Let me know how you make out.
Bill Anderson

BBBSSSSZZZZTTT!

Bill wrote:
Chuck, again not trying to be a smarta** but as the boost comes up the valves will open easier and the cam will have less of a load on it because boost pressure helps to force them open, that is why we run tighter spring pressures than a N/A engine. At no point in the 4 cycles of the engine does the int. or exh. valve try to open under cylinder pressure you have the back pressure in the exhaust with a turbocharger.

No offense taken!!:D A brain fart from an old fart!!

Does that mean if I run ENOUGH boost, I can leave the springs off???:D :D :D J/K
C YA

Cam sensor

Let me know how you make out.
Bill Anderson

Okay Bill you were Right , the tab was broken on the cam sensor , the second one I installed , I really didnt put enough A** into it to move it . So I pulled the frt cover and inspected all the cam pieces and found nothing wrong at all ,Then I rechk'd the interupter ring on the cam sensor ,still didnt want to turn but I pulled the screw and LOOK the tab is broke and the ring had moved ,I had driven the car 150 miles but very easy , as soon as I gave it throttle it backfired and I unpluged the cam sensor and drove it home .
So what is the fix for this , not sure you can get just the ring on the cam sensor .
Thanks for the help
Mark Wallace

Send me your front cover with the oil pump cover installed and the cam sensor and $75 later it will not break again!!! I can use the sensor with the broken ring.
Bill

Bill
Email me your address and what you need ,oil pump gears ? or just the frt cover , oil pump gear cover and the cam sensor .
Thanks Mark

Originally posted by EightSecV6
Send me your front cover with the oil pump cover installed and the cam sensor and $75 later it will not break again!!! I can use the sensor with the broken ring.
Bill
Bill-
I am having the same problem that qwknuf6 is having, except I have a stock 109 block with a billet hydrolic roller cam and not a stage 2 motor. Cam sensor has came out of adjustment after wheel spin. I would like to send my front cover to you along with $75 to have this fixed. Can you do this mod for me even though I have a 109 block? If you prefer, please PM or e-mail me your address and info so I can send my stuff out to you. Thank you.

Need front cover, oil pump cover, cam sensor, oil pump gears. The "fix" will work on the stock block too.
Bill
Anderson Performance Auto
8209D Rosebank Ave
Balto., MD 21222

Thanks Bill. Ill be sending everything out to you within the next week or two.

Me Tooo!!!!!!!

Well not with in a week or 2 but soon.

You can fix the broken one I have shererd off the key in 2 different cam sensors since I started making a little power.Just wondering if you can fix one of my bad ones so I dont need to buy another?

John

Back