You can type here any text you want

Roller camshaft thrust bearing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo6man

I am finally putting in my Applied Technologies roller cam set up in, and it uses the spring loaded Torrington bearing on the front of the cam to control thrust. Is this an OK setup? Are there any issues with this? I am pretty sure roller cams are not ground like a flat tappet cam to always want to make the cam go towards the back of the block, so if this bearing failed the cam would go forward and the lifters would come off the lobes causing catastrophic failure right?

Yep thats correct. I like the shimmable one. Got mine fron Full Throttle. Jon Hanson

The comp cams literature that came with my kit says to adjust the cam endplay to .005-.010". I just did mine last night and had to add .025" worth of shims to the spring to get it within that range.
MH.

I had great success with mt ATR roller AFTER I sent it to Weber Racing along with my front cover. They did an outstanding job, make sure and purchase their specially modified timing set and have them install their special gear on the cam sensor. With the roller you will also want to direct an oil stream directly on the cam sensor gears (Chuck Leeper's method is perfect). The Weber system will come with complete directions. If you need any pics on how to set the end play let me know and I'll post a couple. I would advise you do not put the ATR roller in as it came from them, I had a bad experiance with that.
Mike
86 GN

I would advise you do not put the ATR roller in as it came from them, I had a bad experiance with that.
Mike
86 GN

Can you elaborate on that please...I have an ATR roller...put in as it came from them...no problems so far after 3 years and many many 10 second runs..

I can elaborate.. Some people have had no issues with pre-mature cam sensor gear wear and others do. If you look closely at the stock cam it has a groove that runs thru the snout and provides oil to the cam sensor shaft. The odd-fire roller stick cams, like ATR, run a bronze thrust washer with no oil feed hole provision. What happens is the cam sensor gear MAY wear prematurely if it not lubed properly. Talking with Dan Strezo he believes the metallurgy ,in the cam sensor gear, varied through the years. He believes that is why some wear and some don't. As a fix a company come out with a harndened composite type gear which is a fix for the problem. The gear is pretty costly but so is rebuilding a motor due to metal shaving possibly getting into your oiling system. The other alternative is to spray a direct stream of oil on the cam sensor gear to prevent it from wearing. Lee Thompson had taken some pictures and posted his type of setup..

Mike Banas
87GN

OK...that makes me feel better...I thought there was some problem with the cam itself that I didn't know about...I run a bronze cam sensor gear...I also have the composite gear...will try that after the bronze one wears out...

Lee Thompson, thats who I meant, he made a nice set-up for the cam gear oiling and Weber used to offer something similiar in kit form. The problem I had was the big bronze washer which rubbed against the block, it was wearing itself against the block and putting metal shavings in the oil. The fix is to have a torrington bearing ride against the block, this is what Weber would do, alter the nose of your ATR roller to accept this bearing. Just my 2 cents worth.
Mike
86 GN

The problem I had was the big bronze washer which rubbed against the block, it was wearing itself against the block and putting metal shavings in the oil. The fix is to have a torrington bearing ride against the block, this is what Weber would do, alter the nose of your ATR roller to accept this bearing. Just my 2 cents worth.
Mike
86 GN

Ditto...word for word.

Thanks to everyone for the reply's! I will not use the original thrust setup, I was buying a new front cover from Dan at DLS Engine Development, and he is going to machine my cam and set it up with a Front and rear torrington. Thanks again, Turbo6man:smile: :smile:

Back