You can type here any text you want

Roller rockers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mike_stahl2000

I'm interested in throwing some better than stock valve springs on my 87 GN and figure while I'm in there throw a set of TD roller rockers in there. It is a stock motor, I have a TE44 waiting to toss onto it once I get all the fuel stuff for it (ie pump, Hotwire, injectors, and regulator) what ratio should I run? I always see awesome deals on here for used sets. Anything else I should throw in there while I have the valve covers off? Pushrods? Thanks in advance.

Note that the rocker stand pedestals need to be modified to run shaft mount roller rockers. Look at a stock pedestal and note the narrowed portion at the top. That narrow area needs to be extended further down the pedestal. Otherwise the rocker body hits there.

Also, IIRC, the shaft mount roller rockers require a different length pushrod. Although I'm not that positive on this, a search should bring something up on it. I also have a picture posted here somewhere that shows the extended clearance on the pedestals.

As for ratio, stock is 1.55. Just me but for a stockish/mild build, a 1.55 or 1.6 ratio is enough. Save the higher ratios for those running a faster setup.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Note that the rocker stand pedestals need to be modified to run shaft mount roller rockers. Look at a stock pedestal and note the narrowed portion at the top. That narrow area needs to be extended further down the pedestal. Otherwise the rocker body hits there.

Also, IIRC, the shaft mount roller rockers require a different length pushrod. Although I'm not that positive on this, a search should bring something up on it. I also have a picture posted here somewhere that shows the extended clearance on the pedestals.

As for ratio, stock is 1.55. Just me but for a stockish/mild build, a 1.55 or 1.6 ratio is enough. Save the higher ratios for those running a faster setup.

RemoveBeforeFlight
I'll do some digging, thanks for the heads up.

T&D rockers require trimmed pedistals and a .100" shorter push rod. Or a set of Chevy lifters will work, too. (If using a flat tappet cam. Pull the heads and port them and have win/win deal.

Don't waste your money on roller rockers.

There are cars a lot faster then yours running stock rockers and have no reliability issues.

Now if you need bragging rights or a big sig ego then by all means waste your money on them if you can't find a better place to spend your cash.

That kind of money will buy you more horsepower than roller rockers can provide if you do your homework.

RZ.

Anything else I should throw in there while I have the valve covers off? Pushrods? Thanks in advance.
in addition to the other posts you will need taller valve covers.rob makes an interesting point on the stock setup and I don't know your goals with the car.my thought would be to try the 44 with a strong tune then form your own opinion if you need more as a 44 on 30psi on a stock motor is a fun ride.inmo if your not pushing the boost save your time and money.

years ago I ran 1.65 td and 100lb valve springs on the stock cam with a mild port on the stock heads.easily supported 10 sec power.

I'm looking to maintain a stock as possible appearance. But have the ability to run mid 11's. Just want to throw any add on that will take any strain or stress off the motor. When I was into the small blocks I wanted to ability to let the motor scream with no issues which most of the focus was a good top end. I know this site has a wealth of knowledge so figured I'd tap it and see what the general opinion was.

My car runs high 10's at 123-124......stock cam, stock heads...............and stock rockers. So to answer your question, I don't think you need them to run what you want to. Turn the boost up, make sure you have alky and good tires.

There is no hp gain in roller rockers. Also these engines dont want to scream. With a stock cam and heads, it only needs 5000rpm. Roller rockers arent worth the expense and trouble. You can run mid 11s with a te44 on 25psi with bolt on parts and good gas.

I'm in the tens with ported steel heads and stock rockers and shafts and never had a problem with them.

Now if I was building a motor that would see over 6500 rpm then roller rockers would be on my to do list of reliability.

His goals of mid elevens would just be a waste of money unless he just has it to burn, if so then get the R/R . But it's not just buying the rockers, you have to clearance the pedestals like mentioned before, new pushrods, taller or shimmed V/C.

I wouldn't suggest trimming the pedestals with the heads on the car so now you have head gaskets and intake gaskets as well.

Now you're looking at close to a grand if you do the work and more if you pay someone.

Have you done the spring cleaning on this car yet??? How many miles are on it??? Does it still have the original T/Chain and valve springs??

If so those should be at the top of your to do list. You need to prioritize your goals and do them in the order that you can afford.

Just bolting on speed parts to a stock motor will cost you more in the long run when you break it because you overlooked the cheap and simple solutions.

This is just my advice if it were my motor, you can do whatever makes you feel good. After all you're the one who has to live with it not me.

Good luck and hope you reach your goals.

This might change your mind: you'll need different valve covers. Roller rockers will not fit under stock valve covers.

Better valve springs, yes. Roller rockers, no.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Valve cover spacers fixes the fit issue.

BTW on the low end my car felt better with the stock rockers.
but the top end feels better with the 1.65 roller rockers.

You all pretty much summed it up, I won't bother with them, main reason I was looking to do any of that stuff was just because I was going to be under the valve covers anyway to swap the springs, that was priority, just wanted to know if it was worth the money throwing those rockers in while I was there. So springs and gaskets it is. And blast and powder coat the stock covers. Thanks for all your input.

Valve springs certainly make a big difference! I know I felt it when I was near stock. Now, before you put those on, you should have them checked for pressure and shim them up if needed! I think most people look for around 100lbs on the seat. Are these the 980-12s? Make sure you don't put those little cups back on there, that's the external damper for the stock springs. When you replace the springs, you should also start running ZDDP in the oil. One bottle every oil change will do the trick. I would hate to see you wipe a cam lobe. I'm a big fan of silver or gold filters from NAPA. I always ran 10w30 dino oil with ZDDP in my motor. If the timing chain is stock, then I would look at replacing that thing too. Do lots of reading and always ask before you do, this website is a wealth of info.

Good luck!
Zack

I went with roller rockers, during the MAGNA Point Series Racing years, we had more than one member had valve rocker shafts break at the mounting bolts. And since I would actually drive to the tracks and back (some 3 hrs away) anything I could do to avoid the side of the road, I would do.

Chuck

Get TA rocker shafts and stick with stock stuff, those shafts are thicker than stockers.

Back