You can type here any text you want

Rollmaster timing chain problem?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I want to do this on a Stage 1 Block with a Stock Timming Cover and Oil
Pump.

I Guess I will have to Mode the Cover to make it work.
I just want the Cover to look stock from the outside

One gearset is the competition gearset (caged ball bearing in the idler gear)which is the only one available last time I checked. The other gearset has been discontinued.

It will work with the stock timing cover with modification. I have used the gearset on a stage II oncenter block and currently on a TA block. It was a little work to adapt it to the TA block, but it came out t?ts. Don't know about using it on a production block. Never checked it out.

Don, what was the extent of the modifications on the stock cover with the stage 2 oncenter block ? Do you have any pics ?

George

Don, what was the extent of the modifications on the stock cover with the stage 2 oncenter block ? Do you have any pics ?

George
The mods necessary are explained in 'Hotrod Your Buick V6'. HP Books #149.
I could take some pics of my timing cover, but the modifications are very extensive. It would be hard to pick out just the mods for the gearset.

Cam sensor mounting hole removed. Water pump area removed and replaced with a removeable access cover to allow cam gear repositioning without having to remove the timing cover. Oil pump area removed.

Gear drives

I have been running v6 buicks for nearly 20 years. I personally have never tried or wanted to try using a chain. In the early 80s I was running a BBC and many of my fellow racers had broken timing chains, the damage is usally BIG with a high compression engine. That winter i switched to a gear drive and have never had any sort of issue with one. I hear stories of bad things,but seems no one has the real story. One of the better known pro racers was running super gas back then and ask me if I would rather have that chain in my trans or that gear drive!!! Took me about 2 seconds to make up my mind :biggrin:

Anyone using another brand of timing chain successfully in a high HP Stage 2

George

not to argue with experts. but we went to a dragracers expo, outside of chicago , lots of ford and chevy, engines for sale, i asked engine builders schmitt [engine builder out of indy about timming chains. they said they use belts lot more than they do gear drives, and they use chains on some engines, one ford guy [super gas racer] said he uses rollmaster chains and he runs 325 to 350 psi installed or seat pressure, and thats a big v-8 , local OSCA racer 430 inch alum, ford motorsports engine said he uses a rollmaster chain , and never broke one but he had wore them out, comp, cams had a booth set up i asked them about timming chain failure they said the most common problems with chain failure was mis aligement,

The reverse acceleration of the camshaft is more severe in our Buick V6 than it is with a V8. It is made worse as spring pressures increase as in a Buick V6 Stage II that is setup to run very high rpm. This wears out a chain in short order.

Anyone ???? No one ever used this brand ? ever ? Honest ?

George

OK, let's try this from another angle !:rolleyes:

Who has had a Rollmaster failure. What RPM's do you spin your motor to ? What are your spring pressures .... seat and over the nose ?

George

Back