Rookie rim & tire question?

Odog87

Would a pair of Weld Drag Lites 15x10 with b/s of 4.5 inches. Mounted with a set of M.T. E.T. Streets 28x12.50's fit a stock grand national? It's my first set of drag radials and I wanted to know if it was too much tire? I really pike the aggressive stance of the taller tire. Also I hear turbo bucks love taller tires anyway....

1st off a ET Street 28 12.5 isn't a drag radial it's a bias ply slick with lines in it.

On a beginner car with a tall tire I would personally go with a 8" rim 4" b/s and a 275/60 drag radial.

10's are a bit trickier to fit in the wheel well and with 4.5" b/s they will be close to the outside, you would probably need air bags and/or modify the quarter panel lip.

Unfortunately Weld doesn't make a 8" draglite with 4" b/s...you can only have 3.5" which are close on the outside and as stated before you would need to modify the quarter panel lip and/or install air bags...Or you can have 4.5" b/s which will be close on the inside which may require spacers or a frame notch, but I have seen a 275/60 drag radial fit with this size wheel (real close) on a 28/10.5 slick or 28/12.5 ET Street you'd be in trouble.

The really sucky thing is every car seems to be different, some have the body crooked on the frame which will totally screw with you and it seems like all of them sit at different heights which will also affect your results.

Know anybody selling some used rims and tires kinda wanna step up from stock. I got a two coworkers gunning for me lol. Ones got a stock 06 convertible 350z and the other is a 96 turbo 240 sx. I got a stock 87gn.

Check out the parts for sale section and maybe the section of the forum for wherever part of the country you live in.

Thanks I'm gonna do that. So can a stock Buick hang against a 350z and perhaps a turbo 240sx or do I need a few bolt ons?

You talking really stock stock stock, or mostly kinda sorta stock?? Really stock probably not.

Red I looked at those, I wish you had the fronts to match.... I'd have to try to find the fronts from elsewhere....

Do some reading on here and you will find all this info, but long story short.

Fuel pump
some sort of scan tool to see what's going on
gut cat
adjustable wastegate actuator (if it's not already there)
modern chip
preferably someone near you who knows what's up to tune it till you can learn it for yourself (careful some people just think they know)

You wouldn't believe what a difference these will make assuming everything else is in good working order.

Stock GN's actually aren't all that fast by today's standards, but their magic lies in being able to make them very fast relatively cheaply (at least at first, lol.) There are several "recipes" to get stock GN's into the low 12s or high 11s with a handful of mods, and that's pretty damn fast.

If those imports are trying to line you up they are probably modded, and without knowing much my gut tells me you probably wouldn't do well against them.

Another thing...if your car is BONE stock, there are probably some issues with it that will become aggravated by running it hard. There is a ton of info in the board with all that info. Also check this link

The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

Good luck, hope this helps. These cars are badass but they have their gremlins :biggrin:

Do some reading on here and you will find all this info, but long story short.

Fuel pump
some sort of scan tool to see what's going on
gut cat
adjustable wastegate actuator (if it's not already there)
modern chip
preferably someone near you who knows what's up to tune it till you can learn it for yourself (careful some people just think they know)

You wouldn't believe what a difference these will make assuming everything else is in good working order.

X2

yes, find someone by you who knows these cars (really knows), best bet is through the board. They're a whole different ballgame from whatever it is you knew before. Take it from another rookie :cool:

Anybody located in Ca? There was a copy of the spring cleaning guide in the glove when I bought it. Thanks tho.....

Not really, not in your area, thats a good drive away from me. You should post in the Southwest section though. If you ever come down south (or are willing to) to get work done I can point you in the right direction. PM me.

For the record, you should be able to waste a 350z wether your stock or not especially with drag radials, every stock 350z I have ever raced ran about a 14.60 on a (really) good day with most running in the 15s. As for the 240 those guys like to do a lot of engine swapping/adding turbo crap so they are all over the place time wise. Even if whatever SX your talking about is supposed to be quicker on paper they usually don't have the tires and/or suspension to do it with and are almost never automatics adding to the slow down factor. They are usually set up to drift. Your car should be able to run a 14.1-13.7 bone stock all day long assuming it is running correctly and hooking.