RTV versus rubber seal

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
Hello all. I'm a novice, so let me ask a question of you more experienced guys. I pulled the top end off and sent it out for powder coating. I'm ready to go back together with it now. The Felpro intake gasket came with a couple of rubber seals to be installed at the lifter valley end rails. Better to use those or better to run a bead of RTV instead? If the RTV is better, is there a brand I should use? Do I need to be concerned that the silicon content of the RTV will kill the O2 sensor? What about the intake gasket? Should it go on dry?

I have all ways used PERMATEX ULTRA BLACK. Put a small amount around the water jackets on the head side and the intake side.Also use on the top and bottom of the rubber.On the rubber one it will help hold it in place while trying to line up the intake and help seal it also.

"The Right Stuff" smeared around the water ports and across the block rails and up in the corners.'
also spray both sides of the intake gasket with copper coat spray.

Do a search on it

"better to run a bead of RTV instead" toss the end rubbers in the trash...
make sure every thing is dry and CLEAN, intake gaskets too.:smile:

The rubber gaskets are great for your 5 yr old to play with. Other than that, they are trash. Bead up a nice wall of black or copper rtv. Let it sit for about 10-15 min. and then put the intake on.

I like to use Ultra grey rtv.It seems to take alittle longer to setup but seems hold better than regular black rtv.

I have all ways used PERMATEX ULTRA BLACK. Put a small amount around the water jackets on the head side and the intake side.Also use on the top and bottom of the rubber.On the rubber one it will help hold it in place while trying to line up the intake and help seal it also.

+2 . If installed correctly, the rubber end seals work just fine.