You can type here any text you want

Ruggles cam bearing mods..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Anybody do the Ruggles mods to the cam bearings in a 109 block. His book talks about earlier block(#1 doesn't apply to a 109). I've done a few motors like this. I am wondering if this maybe sending too much oil upstairs causing it to flood the exhaust guides. :confused:

I do it

When you say upstairs, I guess you mean into the valve covers. I can see where it could affect the drivers side (if you restrict the front bearing)--would have nothing to do with the pass. side as it is feed off the main galley. IMO, roller lifters allow more oil up through the pushrod than stock type lifters. IMO running pushrods with restrictors would be the way to go. Curious to see what others think.

I noticed my machinist (RPE) drilled the bearings and re-indexed them on the engines ive had him do.

Yes,I am talking valve covers. I've done it on 3 engines now. 3rd one is a smoker...LOL....back to the drawing board.:)

oil restrictor

Last winter I was working on a bone stock eng. I was preoiling the eng. before installing back in car. Hadn't worked on anything stock for years. I noticed that there was very little oil coming up to the top. Everything was oiling, just not filling the heads like a roller eng. does. I decided to restrict the oil to the top of my eng. SOMEHOW. I removed all the adj. screws from the roller rockers--cleaned the oil holes with lacquer thinner---filled with JB weld--drilled them out to .030. Slowed the oil supply down but still more than the stock eng. was putting out. I believe it helped oil pressure also. Cheaper than buying new pushrods.

:D Sleeve all the lifter bores, bore out the cam tunnel and run roller cam bearings........... No oil goes upstairs unless you drill a small hole in the lifter bushing before you install.

:tongue: With these mods, all the oil pressure goes to the mains and rods ( and turbo and lifters). No oil wasted on lubricating cam bearings!

Oh yeah.......and you can run a chevy solid roller lifter........any brand you prefer!! :cool:

Maybe I'm giving away too many TSM secrets??

Dave

Back