Rule Clarification,please...

Jay Wicks

I have been thinking about pulling out my old 87 GN and joining in on the TAI fun.
Although I do not have an intercooler, [ I'm non-intercooled ], I am running the factory stock 87 intake
and stock 87 3-bolt header/manifold. Would I be allowed to run ethanol fuels? Or, is that only for 85 and earlier factory non intercooled cars? Thanks.

I just reread the rules, they are pretty straight forward, so I guess I would be ok, running either, ethanol fuels or 93 octane. This looks like a fun class to participate in!

This class is a blast. We try to make it fun for everyone. You don't have to win or place second to get in on the prizes/money either. Anyone who makes a qualifying run is in the prizes/money, Even if you break your car after qualifying and don't race.

I will have to check with the Julio and the guys on the way your car is setup.can you post a pic of the setup?

A hot air car has a large amount of heat being created because of the close proximity of the Turbo to the intake and the design of the intake.

Thanks for the interest in our class.

Bryan

Hi Bryan! Thanks for the reply, and Happy New Year!
No pictures of the car, just an empty engine bay, car has been sitting for years. Anyhow, after reading the recent "how fast can you go with a stock turbo thread", it inspired some thoughts of putting my car together to have some fun! Here's what I have..... 109 block with stock rotating assembly,
flat tappet hydraulic cam, home ported 8445 heads and 87 intake, 87 stock headers, and an older 67P trim turbo,, 3" ATR downpipe. The motor is quite old, but still had good oil pressure when last ran, a few years ago.... Also, Julio's Alcohol Kit and my 87 GN .
So here's my idea, a "J" bend from the turbo to the throttle body. No intercooler...... No front mount to block the radiator when summer temps reach 100 deg., no stock location , for easy engine access...., and just something I wanted to try, and the parts are sitting there.
If it doesn't fit the theme of the class, I understand. Just thought it might be interesting to see something different and be fun to participate in TAI .

Hello it’s JD... had a talk to Julio an as long as you put the 10 gallons in on with everyone Else on Sat you can have what ever you want in the tank BEFORE...
We have allowed a HOTAIR run with us before we E85... but it was in STOCK LOCATION .. So as long as you put gas in you can RUN!!
The RULES ARE SUPER SIMPLE!!

If you want to give me a call941-416-7509
Be happy to talk with ya if you have any other QUESTIONS

I love this class. Rule #1: Have fun. Rule #2: If you don't understand rule #1, buy us a beer and we'll work out the details.

Racing used to be about just having fun. This class is what all racing should be like. Can't wait for May. :)

Hello it’s JD... had a talk to Julio an as long as you put the 10 gallons in on with everyone Else on Sat you can have what ever you want in the tank BEFORE...
We have allowed a HOTAIR run with us before we E85... but it was in STOCK LOCATION .. So as long as you put gas in you can RUN!!
The RULES ARE SUPER SIMPLE!!
THe way the rules reads if he has no intercooler and is running an Ethanol blended fuel he DOES NOT have to fill up with 10 gallons of 93

4. Non inter-cooled cars are allowed the use of Ethanol blended fuels (No Racegas)
5. Must fill up with 10 gallons of 93 octane pump gas on race day before eliminations (Ethanol cars excluded)”

THe way the rules reads if he has no intercooler and is running an Ethanol blended fuel he DOES NOT have to fill up with 10 gallons of 93

4. Non inter-cooled cars are allowed the use of Ethanol blended fuels (No Racegas)
5. Must fill up with 10 gallons of 93 octane pump gas on race day before eliminations (Ethanol cars excluded)”
I’m sorry we don’t write a novel when we write the rules... had conversation with Dave already to CLARIFY... it’s all good thanks
Just for your info ....the rule was to allow a original HOT AIR CAR TO JOIN IN THE FUN!!

I had a great conversation with JD ! The ethanol rule for hot air cars was not part of the original rules. The rule was added to allow an original hot air car to compete in TAI. The idea was for a level playing field for everyone. I understand the intention and completely agree. This class has very few rules in the interest of fair competition and to be able to push the limits of performance on pump gas and alcohol injection. Overall, the main rule is to have fun!!!

I had a great conversation with JD ! The ethanol rule for hot air cars was not part of the original rules. The rule was added to allow an original hot air car to compete in TAI. The idea was for a level playing field for everyone. I understand the intention and completely agree. This class has very few rules in the interest of fair competition and to be able to push the limits of performance on pump gas and alcohol injection. Overall, the main rule is to have fun!!!
Dave you are correct the NUMBER ONE RULE IS TO HAVE FUN!!!!
Hope to see you all at the RACES!!

Truly sorry that you had to endure speaking with JD , my condolences to your ears ...

Bryan