running lights

streetknights

this is not on a buick, but on my tow vehicle(1995 chevy k1500)

I have no running or dash lights, the headlights work fine and the brake and turn signals work fine

I can't seem to find a good diagram to figure out where the power comes from

could it be my brake light switch???

Not the same vehicle, but i had the same problem on my 96 monte carlo that I chased for many days. all the fuses were good, but it had an underhood fuse panel that was corroded on the back side.

Voltage reading with the fuse out was even correct. But the resistance was so high that the lamps didnt work. I spliced in a new wire and inline fuse and theyve been fine ever since.

441120 said:
Check the fuses, might be "tail lps" or "inst pnl" fuse(s)

just like stated here.replace fuse,if it blows when you turn lamps on,dont install a larger fuse than specified,then it will make your harness the fuse(and burn)

if fuse blows right away,check trailer plug/trailer wiring.also illumination circut will "look" like a ground when installing a new stereo,when lights are off.look for wrong lamp(s)installed,hack jobs under dash,ie alarm,etc.

your dash trim snaps out,check to see if power is at switch,if so turn switch on and see if brown(park) has voltage out and grey(dash illumination)also.these switches are not very reliable,so many things it can be.....

thanks for the help

when I first got the truck you could mess with the interior light control and get them to come back on, so I replaced the headlight switch with one from the factory, worked for maybe a week, now I can't get them to come on at all

knowing what color the output wires are will definately help, I can't find a wiring diagram that gets anywhere near this circuit

about the larger fuse, I thought it was ok to just replace the fuses with paper clips :D

streetknights said:
when I first got the truck you could mess with the interior light control and get them to come back on, so I replaced the headlight switch with one from the factory, worked for maybe a week, now I can't get them to come on at all

knowing what color the output wires are will definately help, I can't find a wiring diagram that gets anywhere near this circuit

about the larger fuse, I thought it was ok to just replace the fuses with paper clips :D

tin foil around the old glass fuses were always my favorite........with the other info mentioned,probably switch is suspect.extra load of trailer wiring,those switches dont like.

streetknights said:

I would start at the new headlight switch area, possible loose connection on the harness right at the switch. Pull the harness off and see if some of the plugs have gotten too hot and warped the socket away from the switch prong.
BW

loose wire

yep, it was a loose wire on the connector, someone had added some wiring in that area, of course, everything is fixed for free, I shouldn't have even bought that switch in the first place :mad: