Running wire through firewall on passenger side?

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I am mounting my Innovative boost controller and T-Plus on the back of the glove compartment. I want to run the wires on the passenger side through the firewall (to keep everything neat). Where around the passenger side could I drill a hole for a grommet that is easy to get to and safe?

Scott

theres a big rubber grommet at bottom corner of the heat/ac box that the wires for the blower motor and stuff go thru.

you can find it from inside the car not far from where the ecm harness goes thru

there is plenty of room in the heat/a/c grommet to drill a hole thru it to feed your wire and not have to drill the firewall

on drivers side I go thru the grommet for the cruise control harness

:)

theres a big rubber grommet at bottom corner of the heat/ac box that the wires for the blower motor and stuff go thru.

you can find it from inside the car not far from where the ecm harness goes thru

there is plenty of room in the heat/a/c grommet to drill a hole thru it to feed your wire and not have to drill the firewall

on drivers side I go thru the grommet for the cruise control harness

:)

super old thread, but this is the only info search returned for me....

anyways I was looking for some time tonight and don't recall seeing a large grommet with plenty of room to drill into. I only need to run a small tube for mechanical oil pressure. I'd was gonna run a water temp too but the hole will need to be like 1/2" or larger. Not worth the hassle.

Any ideas for getting the tube through the passenger side firewall would be great. Thanks.

super old thread, but this is the only info search returned for me....

anyways I was looking for some time tonight and don't recall seeing a large grommet with plenty of room to drill into. I only need to run a small tube for mechanical oil pressure. I'd was gonna run a water temp too but the hole will need to be like 1/2" or larger. Not worth the hassle.

Any ideas for getting the tube through the passenger side firewall would be great. Thanks.

When my car was under construction (and still is), I removed the plastic inner fender well. Its not easy, you need a 1/4" extension with swivel & 10mm socket to get the bolts near the AC box. But it is much much easier to do all this wiring with it removed. Otherwise, you can undo the bolts underneath and try to wedge in there. But personally, I like alot of extra room.

When I did my wideband install I pulled back the carpet on the pass side and drilled a hole up high on the floorboard, see pic. My wideband sensor mounts towards the end of the downpipe and allowed me to mount the LC1 controller behind the glovebox. Obviously, I put a grommet on the hole after this pic was taken and I also run my fuel pressure transducer wires thru here as well as my future installation of my EGT wires. The grommet where the speedo cable goes was pretty much loaded up with enough wires already.

Attachments

• LC1ONE.jpg
    LC1ONE.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 360
No need to drill. Locate the grommet under the dash on the passenger side. You'll see it in the very top right under the dash. There's a "plug" with vac lines running through it, pull the plug out engough to stick a coat hanger through. Run a coat hanger through the hole, when it comes out, attach your wires to the hanger, then pull it back through. Done.

When I did my wideband install I pulled back the carpet on the pass side and drilled a hole up high on the floorboard, see pic.

Thanks for the pic. If all else fails this may be the route I take.

No need to drill. Locate the grommet under the dash on the passenger side. You'll see it in the very top right under the dash. .

I will check again tonight. I don't recall seeing any vac lines through a grommet. All I remember seeing is 2 holes for a bunch of wires.

I ran my hole there for an easy install of the wideband without have to extend the harness. No biggie drilling a hole. With all the other things we do to these cars, what's one hole? The grommet discussed on the pass side is there but hard to get from what I saw.

I did the same as Mark. Works great. You'll need quite a hole in that existing grommet to fit the sensor thru. It's not the size of a wire...:confused:

I did the same as Mark. Works great. You'll need quite a hole in that existing grommet to fit the sensor thru. It's not the size of a wire...:confused:

The oil line is about the size of a 14 gauge wire. It's just a nylon tube. I will try to avoid drilling the floorboard if possible. If I knew I was gonna drill a hole there I would have ran the Alky wires there (PAC mounted behind glove box), doh. Oh well.

I've drilled a total of five different holes in various parts of my firewall to route wires. Don't be scared to drill. :D

Now, lemme see how many zip-ties I've used on the car. :tongue:

Just recommendation, do not use the nylon tubing. Pay the extra money and get a copper line kit if running a mechanical. To be honest with the accuray of the electric gauges out there, I would recommend that if for nothing else but yout temp gauge

Feeding up through the passenger side works excllent and gives you a nice clean look.

I prefer to do the least amount of cutting or drilling on a car that mihgt go back to stock sometime.

" I've drilled a total of five different holes in various parts of my firewall to route wires. Don't be scared to drill.

Now, lemme see how many zip-ties I've used on the car. "

Yep. :)

I used a stepped Unibit on the GN worked great, used a Greenlee punch years ago on the WE4.

Rtv'd a plastic edge on it although a few layers of properly placed Scotch 33+ tape will also work well after filing the edges smooth.

Don't forget a spare pull wire put in place for the next install. :)

Drill it and fill it. :p

I was able to use the existing grommet. There were vac lines but I didn't recognize them b/c they are colored like wires.

For future reference theres 2 holes on the pass side near the ECM. The top one has a yellow plug in the middle of it. This is the one I drilled through because the grommet had plenty of extra space around it.

Thanks

Or you could have pulled the yellow plug out of the grommet. It's really hard to get it out, but it'll come out.

Or you could have pulled the yellow plug out of the grommet. It's really hard to get it out, but it'll come out.
Old thread but where does this grommet come in the engine bay? Behind the fender or somewhere accessible?
Trying to avoid using DS grommet to bring wires all the way back to the PS.
Thanks