You can type here any text you want

Ruptured brake line

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Thanks, threads should be OK as it didnt leak before and the new line has a new fitting. How tight can you go with those before you strip the threads on the fitting or in the prop valve?

It really easy to strip any kind of brass fitting if the thread doesnt line up and you force it in. Doesn't sound like your dealing with that issue though. Try the sealant and put some cardboard down to confirm if it's still leaking from that area.

Its definitely not cross threaded, Ill remove the fitting to inspect and re-assemble with some sealant. Think Ill also put some anti-seize on the back of the flare itself because I noticed once the fitting was getting tight the tube was turning with it.

Shouldn't need to put any anti seize on the flare itself. As you tighten down the nut the line will move a little. I had to hold the line when doing the final turns of the nut.
At least the ones I replaced did.

I also had the same thing happen when doing the wheel lines last year. I had to redo at least one or two of them several times to finally get a good seal.
Make sure the line goes in straight and the Flare nut is running true when you start threading it. Also over-tightening the flare nut can cause a leak as it messes with the flared connection inside.

What I did was clean the entire area with brake cleaner to eliminate the drips coming from anywhere else. After I got the line in I would pump the pedal a couple of times to build some pressure
in the lines. Then go back underneath, with a flashlight if needed, and see if the seal is holding.

You may have to play with it but you'll get it.

Looked underneath this morning and it was seeping ever so slightly from the threads, nothing on the floor. Took it apart and held the line straight while tightening the nut. Checked it about an hour later and there was a bit of fluid at the connection, but that might have just been residual. Hopefully it holds up, really dont want to have to re-flare the line with it being stainless.

Checked on the car this morning and it looks like the fitting going into the prop valve is leaking a tiny bit (about a quarter size puddle over the past 3 days). Cant tighten the fitting anymore, what else can I do here? Remove it and use thread sealant?

Loosen it a bit then re-tighten. Many times that does the trick.

RemoveBeforeFlight

{edit: ack, I didn't realize this was a 2 page thread. Anyway, can use some BrakeKleen to clean up the residual fluid to see if it is still leaking.}

I doubt you'll need to re-flare it. I abused my lines while trying to get them in and didn't need to.

Back