You can type here any text you want

?s for PLX WBO2 users, thinking about purchasing one

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

russgoodman

After about 2 years of owning my T, I've finally got all the bolt-ons and goodies on the car that I originally planned for. I keep seeing the PLX wideband kits come up on the board and I've honestly been ignoring them because I don't know a damn thing about wideband tuning. So I've been doing some reading and research and have decided I might just need one after all, ya know to be a little more reliable/easier to tune with than the scanmaster and be able to squeeze some extra power out of the car.

I'm looking at the module/gauge combo since I don't have any logging capabilities at the present time. So guys try to walk me through the install. My TA downpipe has a bung already in it, so the o2 sensor goes there, then to the harness, then to the module which is easy enough. Do you have to drill any holes in the firewall to get the harness to pass though, and if so, where? I was thinking of mounting the module to the back of the glovebox, anyone tried that?

As far as the power wire, can I just ground it where all my other grounds are under the dash and would it be ok to run the power wire to the fuse box to a spare ign terminal?

The gauge looks like it has one black/white striped wire that goes into the harness connector and thats it. Looks like the other 3 are left open if not reading lambda and not utilizing a logger.

I watched a demo install video somewhere and the part about the capacitors and cutting the ecm wiring kinda scared me, but the instructions say only to do that if using a logger or reducing noise interference, so I guess I can avoid that step.

So if those steps are all good and I get the thing to work, what AFR would I be shooting for on meth and 104? Or are there any other factors to take into consideration like boost level, timing, etc?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get a good grasp on things before I go off and make a purchase - I kinda like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Thank you!

Our cars usually run well at around 12.5:1(WOT). What did you pay for your PLX Wideband O2 set-up? Are they the DM-100 & SM-AFR or R-500? Just curious if I've posted mine at a decent price in here.

Here's a link to the user's manual for the DM-100: (http://www.plxdevices.com/InstallationInstructions/DM-100_200UsersGuide_F2.0.pdf) YES- You wire the power via the fuse block, and can use any chassis ground. NO- No extra holes are necessary, as the sensor leads can be run through the existing grommet on the driver's side of the firewall, above the steering column. No reason the modules couldn't be mounted in or behind the glove box(they also interlock). I've got some other good sites that explain the functions and features of the PLX DM-100 and SM-AFR posted in "Parts for Sale".

Our cars usually run well at around 12.5:1(WOT). What did you pay for your PLX Wideband O2 set-up? Are they the DM-100 & SM-AFR or R-500? Just curious if I've posted mine at a decent price in here.

180 after shipping and tax(they're in PA) for just the module(SM-AFR) and Bosch sensor from extremepsi. I ordered a PL from FT yesterday as well.

Our cars usually run well at around 12.5:1(WOT).

12.5:1 @ WOT...:eek: Try that and your Pistons will be washed with Antifreeze. :eek: 10.5:1 with pump and alky and 11.2:1 on race fuel are more or less starting points.

If you are going to the trouble of installing a wideband... why not buy a powerlogger and a wideband tracking chip from Turbotweak... and let the chip do all the work? ;)

12.5:1 @ WOT...:eek: Try that and your Pistons will be washed with Antifreeze. :eek: 10.5:1 with pump and alky and 11.2:1 on race fuel are more or less starting points.

MY BAD! That's my idle:rolleyes: . Gotta stop sleep-posting.

Kit should be here tomorrow, so before I start foolin around with it - any suggestions on where to mount the module? I would like to velcro it to the back of the glove box but also thought about velcroing it to the driver side kick panel. Where has everyone else mounted theres? (I'm not really sure how much wire I have to work with)

Just finished installing it. I didn't have enough cable coming off the afr gauge to mount the module to the glovebox, so I velcroed it to the drivers side kick panel. With the e-brake fully engaged, the module sits between the ebrake pedal and the kick panel perfectly.

Back