You can type here any text you want

S2 SHORTblock cost?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Six_Silver

I have read a few posts about the total cost expected to get a S2 car going. What would a shortblock cost, inluding labor? Specifically a wet-sump oiling system (stock block style) and a hydrolic roller cam. A breakdown on the cost would be great. I was thinking in the $5k range? Thanks fellas.

Originally posted by Six_Silver
I have read a few posts about the total cost expected to get a S2 car going. What would a shortblock cost, inluding labor? Specifically a wet-sump oiling system (stock block style) and a hydrolic roller cam. A breakdown on the cost would be great. I was thinking in the $5k range? Thanks fellas.

You will not be able to buy the parts and have it built for 5k unless you have a gun.

You'll have 5k in just parts alone, another 3k to machine/assemble it. These engines do not just bolt together.

Cost to complete and install will be no less than 15k including a turbo and headers and I am probably a little light, you will need to buy parts used.

Take my advice, don't buy cheap junk, you'll end up buying it twice.

Yes I was thinking $5k in parts, I posted wrong. I can tell already that parts are scarce.

Bobby @ RPE charged me $5750. That included a full rebuild, solid roller cam (my lifters were good), pistons (8) , duttweiler oil system, stainless ex valves , gaskets, new front cover and pushrods. 860-953-1342

For Parts only:

Block 2500 if you can find one!
rods 500
pistons and rings 550
Crank 1000 "
bearings 300
cam (no lifters) 500
chain and thrust setup 350
Studs/core plugs/misc 300

That totals $ 6000 and my estimates are conservative (but
do-able if you shop around). Tack on another $2000 or so for good machine work/assembly and just the short block should cost $8000. I have probably forgotten lots of stuff, but you can see it ain't cheap. This Buick hobby tends to stretch the limits of what some people consider reasonable.

Dave

Back