You can type here any text you want

S2s galore at Duttweiler's...and a certain pair of TA heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KendallF

Blah blah blah
Just got back from California, and as usual I took a chance to stop by and hang out at Duttweiler's shop Thursday. The place was full of stage motors.

Ken was putting Rick Elam's and another similar motor together; it looked good, Rick. I'm probably going to piss you off if I describe your motor before you get over there to pick it up..but that's some nice stuff. ;)

We should know a little more about the quality of the new TA heads very soon because there's an assembled motor on Ken's dyno with 'em..and twin turbos! It's an off-center S2 with a stock intake and twins; should be a pretty good workout for the heads. I heard some flow #s for the heads that I will leave for Nick or someone else to publicize but let's just say I was impressed.

In the department of cool/weird, over in the garage side was a very nice street GN..started out as a 5k mile car that the owner brought to Duttweiler's and had a twin turbo SBC built for it. It had Camaro accessories, A/C, and a black painted intercooler..stealthy and streetable. I can't imagine what sort of money is in the car because it also had a 4L80E trans, giant Baer brakes and 21"..yes 21 inch..wheels. The wheels were a bit much for me but the car was definitely top notch quality everywhere. As installed in the car, the motor is probably good for 8-900 HP and has the parts to be leaned on quite a bit harder.

As always Ken was absolutely great and I learned a few things from that short time in the shop. I wish I could work there and make a living at this stuff. :D

Sounds like you had a good time and got some more ideas for the race car you are building.... Did you see Duttweiler's race car (tube frame Olds Cutlass) at all this time? Last time I think you mentioned he had a twin turbo SB2 SBC V8 in the Cutlass..... Is he racing it at all? I just don't hear anything about him racing anymore..... I did hear that he built a pretty nasty twin turbo Cadillac CTS based V6 for Bob Rieger's Pro RWD Cavalier cause now Bob is racing against imports and other domestics in the NHRA/Summit Sport Compact drag racing series...... Hear anything about that from Kenny?

Kendall,

Thanks for the report.
Going to Kenny's is the greatest.
I have not been there since my honey moon 2 years ago.
That my friends is another story ;)
What I have heard about the heads is 260 to almost 300 cfm
on the intake depending on the port configuration.

Steve,

I think Rieger quit his PRO RWD Import deal and is going IHRA pro stock racing with a Sonny Leonard motor. It must be nice to be able to build one or two cars ($150,000 to $200,000) a year plus have all the extra motors and tow rigs :eek:

Rieger is going to run in IHRA Pro Stock with the Sonny Leonard motor. I guess they couldn't extract the type of HP from the CTS block that would have been compettive enough in the class. So he ordered up a Mountain motor and is gonna go do that with the Cavalier, that was to be used for the NHRA Pro Import RWD Class.

Kendall, you must have just missed Rick, he was at Duttwielers Friday picking up his motor. But I will let Rick tell you about his trip if he wants.

Originally posted by John Wilde

Steve,

I think Rieger quit his PRO RWD Import deal and is going IHRA pro stock racing with a Sonny Leonard motor. It must be nice to be able to build one or two cars ($150,000 to $200,000) a year plus have all the extra motors and tow rigs :eek:

John, I agree it must be nice to have that kind of money to just throw around for cars and motors....

Reiger was at Gateway last weekend for an Outlaw Pro Mod race.
Nice car,but went out 1st round. I think they were just testing anyway.

Originally posted by 86brick
Did you see Duttweiler's race car (tube frame Olds Cutlass) at all this time? Last time I think you mentioned he had a twin turbo SB2 SBC V8 in the Cutlass..... Is he racing it at all? I just don't hear anything about him racing anymore

They took it out just a couple of weeks ago and they're taking it out again next weekend, I think. It ran some 6.8x@206 or so..over 200, anyway. I don't think Ken has time to campaign it seriously but it's a good demonstrator! :)

Originally posted by John Wilde
What I have heard about the heads is 260 to almost 300 cfm
on the intake depending on the port configuration.

These were heavily ported and came in around 260 on the intake. They had 1.90/1.625 valve sizes.

Originally posted by QWKSLVR
Kendall, you must have just missed Rick, he was at Duttwielers Friday picking up his motor. But I will let Rick tell you about his trip if he wants.

I'd like to hear it. :)

One other interesting car that was there (the Caddy V6 made me remember) was a new CTS with a full cage. It had the V6 and was being fitted for a single turbo to go run at Bonneville.

Originally posted by KendallF
They took it out just a couple of weeks ago and they're taking it out again next weekend, I think. It ran some 6.8x@206 or so..over 200, anyway. I don't think Ken has time to campaign it seriously but it's a good demonstrator! :)

Nice!:) :cool:

Hey Guys,

Well, got back on Saturday morning about 4am. We spent too much time at Neal's house (Brutal six) talking shop. :) Spent part of Friday and Saturday morning at Duttweilers, as always had a good time. They were putting the final touches on Kenny's car as they plan to race it next weekend. He has only taken it out a couple of times in the last 2 years (he just doesn't have the time).

As Kendall said (hey sorry we missed you on Friday), there was a twin turbo off-center motor on the dyno with the TA heads. They should have this motor dynoed in the next couple of days. Kenny is expecting around 1100-1200hp. It had a stock intake and a couple of Innovative T70 turbo's.

The Cadillac CTS is one of my friends cars. It is a long story but they are going to bonneville with a single turbo CTS motor. This car is the reason that they decided to try the CTS motor in Bob Reiger's car. This car will have a T70 with a 6 speed in it.

The GN in back with the Twin turbo V8 was a very nice car. I agree with Kendall that the wheel choice is not my cup of tea, but the car is nice. I actually remember when the owner of the car called in to buy the brakes.

As for Reiger, QWKSLVR is correct. He is out of sport compact, and now in IHRA pro stock.

All in all it was a good weekend! Garret and I were able to pick up our motors and make it home safely, now all I need to do is finish my car! :)

Rick Elam

Back