Scavange a FWD Turbo Riveria?

GASOLINE

Experimental
Hi,

There is a big 'ol complete, front wheel drive, turbo, Riveria in a yard close to me that I can scavange or pick for for free.

Is there anything worth taking off the car to keep or make a buck?

I mean would the car have a turbo crank? ECM? turbo worth anything? Vacuum lines? etc.

:confused:

Thanks for the response.

Tom Willisford

I would be interested in any glasslike emblems from the body, plenum or interior dash area (for instance like the turbocharged emblem from the center dash). LMK price and condition please. Thanks, STEVE Z

Should have a turbo crank but much more difficult to pull because it's a front drive car. Also, could be damaged. Should have a digital dash.

I used the complete trunk carpet kit to make one for my GN. It's not as nice as one the IMM or BGC's. But for a total of $8, it don't look bad and does cover up a bare trunk. If you don't pull the complete speedo, at least get the low fuel module. Can't remember if they've got a GN/T steering wheel or not.

What year is it?? If it is an SFI than the intake and turbo are the same as a hot air. If it is an 84 and older than it has a 3.36 final drive and those fetch good money for someone building a fast Riv-Toro-Eldo. Actually getting the crank out is easier because the crossmember isn't in the way. Its a lot easier if you pull the motor out with the trans/final drive as one assembly.

Eric Fisher

What year is the car? get the VIN #

Originally posted by turbofish38
What year is it?? If it is an SFI than the intake and turbo are the same as a hot air. If it is an 84 and older than it has a 3.36 final drive and those fetch good money for someone building a fast Riv-Toro-Eldo. Actually getting the crank out is easier because the crossmember isn't in the way. Its a lot easier if you pull the motor out with the trans/final drive as one assembly.

Eric Fisher

ERIC IS right on, the 3.36 gear set differential will bring good bucks and I am the one will pay for it, NAME your price on the gearset, I will buy it with-in reason, but It can not be a 1985 model , they have 3.15 ratio, has to be 1984 or 1983 with the 3.36 code FW4 on the trunk label not F57

Regards

For about $50... I got the 8445 heads, and turbo crank and instrument panel out of a 84 Rivera last summer. It took me 2 weekends to get that crank out but it was worth it!!!

Getting that crank out was a b*tch!!! It wasn't as easy as I thought.

good luck in your scavenging... dave

They say it is an '83

Thanks for the info!!!

I called him and he said the car was an '83. I will double check on it for sure. If that is the case, I have a car trailer and I might just get the whole car and bring it home. That would make it easier to pick

It maybe a week before I can get to it.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Tom

1984 Turbo Riveria

Hi,

I called the yard and they had said that it (Riveria) was getting picked over, so I went Saturday and got what I could.

It turns out the car was an 1984!, with the FW4 code on the trunk label. I took a picture of the label, and will post it if desired. I did get the complete motor, transmission, EMC, and digital dash.

The badges and been stripped of the car already, except the "Turbocharged Riveria" badge off the grille, which I did get. If BLACKHAWK38 is interested in the transmission, email me and I will get you my phone number.

The yard has a 4.1 '81 Eldo and a '80 Turbo Regal Sport Coupe, I have got my eye on next. If anyone needs any of these parts they are all for sale.

Thanks for the responses!

Tom Willisford
Atlanta, GA

Re: 1984 Turbo Riveria

Originally posted by GASOLINE
Hi,

I called the yard and they had said that it (Riveria) was getting picked over, so I went Saturday and got what I could.

It turns out the car was an 1984!, with the FW4 code on the trunk label. I took a picture of the label, and will post it if desired. I did get the complete motor, transmission, EMC, and digital dash.

The badges and been stripped of the car already, except the "Turbocharged Riveria" badge off the grille, which I did get. If BLACKHAWK38 is interested in the transmission, email me and I will get you my phone number.

The yard has a 4.1 '81 Eldo and a '80 Turbo Regal Sport Coupe, I have got my eye on next. If anyone needs any of these parts they are all for sale.

Thanks for the responses!

Tom Willisford
Atlanta, GA

HI Tom, Blackhawk38 here, I will give you a email today to discuss purchase of 3:36 differential.

Regards

I have a fwd transaxle in my garage any way to tell what gear it has without opening it up? Theres a tag on the side any idea what code to look for on the tag?

It should be a single letter. I've never seen a tag on one? Look for an A,B ,C,etc stamped into the case. Post back and I can look up the ratio.

Eric

differential ratio

Originally posted by turbofish38
It should be a single letter. I've never seen a tag on one? Look for an A,B ,C,etc stamped into the case. Post back and I can look up the ratio.

Eric

Hi eric, blackhawk here, I counted the revs with the short hub, with each of the 6 screw holes being 1/6 or .1666667

about 3 1/6 turns, it is a F57 with code M on the case<> = 3.16666 close enough to 3.15

about 3 2/6 turns , it is a FW4 with code N on the case,<>= 3.333333, close enough to 3.36

That is going by my parts book, the 1983 Fw4 that you sold to me, I could not find any foundry stamp at all or did not know where to look.

THe tail lamp reflector worked fine, I used a 198 lamp instead of 1157 because of 2 watt brighter low element. Had to put in a new gm socket, autozone sucks.

Regards, Dave V

Although the TH- 325- 4L is called a transaxle, technically it is a transmission with a differential bolted to the trans output shaft, anyway, to find the stamp, look straight at the differential cover ( with 10 bolts) and to left of center where the cover mates to the diff housing is a cast tab, there is about a 1/2" hole there, wipe that area off and there will be the ratio ID. Forget the numbers as they are the build date, just need the letter, let us know.

So are you putting the whole Riviera turbo drivetrain (motor/trans/diff) into a sand rail? Cool. Are you using the axles too or are there upgrade axles available through the sand rail circles?

Im using the whole drivetrain yes. Ill see how long these last, then figure out what to do then. Is the diferential a posi style or is it open? can you weld the spider gears together like normal rear end? Here is a guy with the trans and dif just like mine except he is using chevy 350 and im going with the 6.
www.extremebuggies.com/onshow/showroom.asp?series=39
Gotta check numbers tonight when i crawl underneath the car.
Thanks for your help

No posi was ever offered in any of the 1979-85 GM E body, inc. Riviera, Eldorado, Toronado, unfortunatly. Looks like any other standard differential on the inside, spider gears and all. For your application you can probably weld the spider gears, but ask around. The buick turbo 6 engines is standing the test of time, very durable, your power to weight ratio should make that rail move even in stock trim, and you probably can add an intercooler easy depending on how the chassis is arranged. Do some of the simple mods as seen on this board, you should have plenty of fun!:cool:

Originally posted by The Don
can some one send me pic of an 85 turbo riveria? kojo300zx@yahoo.com...also any links that would tell about them

I have a few pictures of one of mine here http://www.msnusers.com/turbofish38/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

Feel free to scroll through the album. They are the ones that are labeled Riv.

I dont know of any other really good sites that go into great detail about these cars.

If you want e-mail me at efisher@billheard.com and I'll try to answer any questions you have. I've been screwing around with this model since the late 80's and I'd like to think I'm the expert when it comes to them.