You can type here any text you want

School me on my new engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jamesmross

I have owned a 3.8 NA for about a year now and it was in need of a rebuild, so I found a turbo 3.8 from an '80 regal. Its complete with transmission so I bought it for $300.

The problem I have is that I don't know much about it other than its a pretty cool setup. I am putting this into my 1971 CJ5 that started out with a Dauntless 3.7. Previous owner put the 3.8 in it, which was pretty much a direct swap.

So what does it take to run one? I won't need the smog equipment, so all that stuff that is not essential can be deleted. I am just unsure what electronics are required to run it? Is the carb electronic or can it run on its own? I guess I can get around the ESC with an MSD BTM. :confused:

In short I am putting this in my CJ5 and need info on how to make it run outside of a buick and without a computer if possible.

Any help pointing me to the right stuff to read would be appreciated.:)

Honestly, you'll be happier with it as an NA engine. Getting the C/T system to work will be somewhat difficult on a jeep off road.

Honestly, you'll be happier with it as an NA engine. Getting the C/T system to work will be somewhat difficult on a jeep off road.

x2, you can get 300 or more HP with the N/A... that`s more than what a C/T setup makes. But it will take some thinking and part searching to pull it off... I would do it myself, but I like turbos too-much:biggrin:

Unless it's from California, a 1980 Turbo V6 should not have a computer. Just a "Turbo Control Center" which is an ESC (knock retard) module. You could start without it and run lower boost.

Did the motor come with the ESC module? In 1980, they were under the dash and many times left behind.

f uck that

The draw thru motor is way awesome in a jeep off road.

Had a buddy that had a scrambler? ?? i think thats what it was, had a 4.1 with a carb turbo system... was badd ass.

TBI is way easy to adapt to the turbo as well, or if you have the hood room, keep it simple and use a holley 4x4 truck avenger!

A.j.

f uck that

Had a buddy that had a scrambler? ?? i think thats what it was, had a 4.1 with a carb turbo system... was badd ass.

TBI is way easy to adapt to the turbo as well, or if you have the hood room, keep it simple and use a holley 4x4 truck avenger!

A.j.

i agree with aj it would be way cool to have a drawthr turbo on a jeep.

How the f@ck do you guys think a carb turbo isn't going to work in a jeep or the n/a will make more power? Turbos work off load:rolleyes: which this jeep will see plenty of:cool:

OP, dude you got a good deal, especially if it all runs andis complete. THe turbo carb setup should work well. You will have to run an auto trans obviously. A 2200+stall should work good. DOn't forget the ALKY!:cool:

I'm thinking about the angles of rock crawling, oil requirements, and fuel. I know what kind of insane angles you can hang when off road and the low RPM required to do it. To much torque can be a bad thing when you try going up lions back or quite a few places in Rubican. These engines have a special area and off road may work fine depending on what you're planning to do, but honestly I wouldn't do it.

f uck that

A.j.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm not scared to do a little work and research to make this work. I like the idea of having something as unique as this. For all I ever knew, the GN's were the only cars that got a turbo in the early 80's. Never knew of the carbed versions and certainly didn't know they started in the late 70's. I know a guy in my home town that has a nice, stock turbo Trans Am but never got curious about it until now. :smile:

So this is looking to be doable with a few parts. Unfortunately I didn't get a computer with it. I got it from a guy with a junk yard who said he pulled it for a friend about four years ago but the guy never came and got it. The vacuum hoses and most of the rubber is dry rotted and carb probably needs a rebuild. It has a four barrel quadrajet, don't know if this would be worth rebuilding in my situation or not.

So, without the computer and with the carb in need of rebuild would it be best to get something like a truck avenger?

Could the spark issues be solved easier with an MSD or should I look for an ESC? :confused:

I'm still in the earliest stages of this so any thing is an option right now.

Thanks for the ideas and help so far, I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I go to put this in as some things are easier to do with the engine out.

Please visit Rich's site, BEFORE BLACK Website and do a lot of reading. Rich has done a fantastic job of cataloging the development of the early cars and it should help you quite a bit if you decide to do it. There's lots of tech on here as well but remember that this early design is a total PITA design wise. I would sugguest that you find one of the early EST units to go with the engine as well as an MSD BTM unit at the very least.

theres lots of options.

you could always blow thru it.

a holley truck avenger would work fairly good. they handle decent angles.

A.j.

Back