You can type here any text you want

SD2 or Translator w/Z06 MAF

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QwikStop

Wfo Racing Team Rep.
Im wanting to upgrade from stock MAF., I've read alot about both and am on the fence on what to get...I sought the advice of a good friend and former Buick guy and he has some valid points when it comes to staying MAF but not a lot for the SD....both cost the same....any input will help, thanks

SD2 and don't look back I love mine .

Are willing are you to tweak the tune and do you understand tuning. If the answers to any of these are NO go with a standard translator

Are willing are you to tweak the tune and do you understand tuning. If the answers to any of these are NO go with a standard translator

I am willing to tune and i do understand a few things about whats going on, I do not have access to a Dyno and i live about 150 miles from the nearest track.
I know its not simple plug and play but is the aggravation worth it, i realize it will take some trial and error but will i see better results with the SD over the MAF?
Lets say im looking for mid to low 10s eventually is this more obtainable with the SD or the MAF with comparable operating components?
Is the SD2 setup more track oriented vs the MAF system?

.............Is the SD2 setup more track oriented vs the MAF system?

The SD2 is better on the street as well as the track!

The most difficult part of tuning, not really hard but more time consuming, is the street drivability part. The SD2 chips we have installed worked really good just the way we got them from Eric.

A dyno is certainly not needed for street tuning, and also you can do WOT tuning on the highway with a friend driving while you tune.

We gained 12 HP on the dyno just going from a stock MAF to the SD2. :)

Can you gain 12hp by going to less restrictive MAF?

"The most difficult part of tuning, not really hard but more time consuming, is the street drivability part. The SD2 chips we have installed worked really good just the way we got them from Eric".

I was unclear on this, guess i could've called TT for some answers, but i was wondering how it worked right out of the box.

All true, the SD2 chip will work very well right out of the box. Pretty much plug n play, except for wiring in the Wideband O2 and 3bar MAP to the Powerlogger analog input block. After that you're ready to rock n roll.
Of course then there's the tweaking and tuning that you can do if you want things to be perfect. My car never ran as good as it does even when new.
But I'm the kind of person that loves the tweaking part of it and trying to make things perfect. Since my car no longer races I've strived to make it's street manners perfect, and have succeeded in doing that, yet the WOT tune is so close I don't have to mess with it anymore either.

All true, the SD2 chip will work very well right out of the box. Pretty much plug n play, except for wiring in the Wideband O2 and 3bar MAP to the Powerlogger analog input block. After that you're ready to rock n roll.
Of course then there's the tweaking and tuning that you can do if you want things to be perfect. My car never ran as good as it does even when new.
But I'm the kind of person that loves the tweaking part of it and trying to make things perfect. Since my car no longer races I've strived to make it's street manners perfect, and have succeeded in doing that, yet the WOT tune is so close I don't have to mess with it anymore either.

Awesome, I've already been logging boost and AFR with the powerlogger so i'm good there. All i would need is the chip and get rid of the MAF?

Awesome, I've already been logging boost and AFR with the powerlogger so i'm good there. All i would need is the chip and get rid of the MAF?

Yes. And possibly have to update the PLC software and flash the PL to a version compatible with the SD2, which is all easy to do.

Nice thing about the SD2 is you have macro and micro tuning abilities. Im still on macro, but when I get time off school, im going to study the art of fine tuning. So dont be afraid of anything.

Right out the box mine ran great Eric does a great job with the default settings :-)
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1399007906.182800.jpg

Just got tuner pro open checking out the ve table

Back